Conduit is good, ( gloating )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was criticised last year by a sparky for using conduit from floor up to surface mounted sockets, also from ceiling down to sockets. "You are being lazy" My reason was it is a 497 year old stone wall cottage ( rubble and mortar to be precise ) and chasing out would be a nightmare of dust and stones coming out of the wall. Also where the previous owner had used metal back boxes several were corroded by moisture in the walls. Cables had been zig zagged around to follow the gaps between stones.

Well I heard this morning that the sparky had confidently started to chase out a wall in a slightly younger cottage and had ended up with a large area of lime and horse hair plaster laying on the floor. About two square yards I am told came off in a single piece that broke up as it hit the floor.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yes

or horizontally

or on a brick wall

or in a garage

Mini-trunking requires screws into stone to hold it in place.

What is also good about conduit is that 15mm copper pipe fits inside so the central pipes are neatly sleeved in white. No need to paint or polish bare copper pipes.

yes ... or horizontally ... or on a brick wall ... or in a garage
I'm talking about the aesthetics. Would you really want to see vertical runs of plastic trunking on a 400+ year-old stone wall?

Kind Regards, John

400-year-old cottages did not, when built, have anything electrical, so any modern additions will by definition be out of place. So whatever goes in needs to combine practicality with whatever aesthetics suit the rest of the decor and/or the owner's preferences.

pj

2ccc98ef7774b05a8d935a558e335368.jpg

Mmmm :)

That looks really smart a nice neat install I like the dressing on the cables as they enter the socket box.
Cant beat a nice bit of pyro shame its not used that much anymore

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back