Conduit is good, ( gloating )

400-year-old cottages did not, when built, have anything electrical, so any modern additions will by definition be out of place. So whatever goes in needs to combine practicality with whatever aesthetics suit the rest of the decor and/or the owner's preferences.
I agree up to a point with that, but I seem to have been making some dangerous assumptions. Firstly, I thought he was talking about metal conduit (which we now know is incorrect). Secondly, I thought he was talking about an 'unplastered' stone wall (which I now realise is possibly also not correct), in which case, regardless of age of the wall, I don't think that white plastic would look very nice on it! I have both unplastered brick and unplastered stone in my house, and I personally wouldn't want to see white conduit or mini-trunking on either - but I suppose that's a personal thing!

It's interesting what Bernard said about putting copper pipes inside white plastic conduit. I have been known, to satisfy my own view of aesthetics, to do almost the opposite - putting cables inside earthed copper pipe!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Pyro would be my wiring of choice too.
I agree that it looks quite pretty (as can cable in copper piping) - but that's just because of the appearance. If that (aesthetics) is the only reason for using it, it would be simpler and (probably) cheaper if copper-encased PVC cable were available. Indeed, even a copper-coloured PVC-sheath would get quite close in appearance to pyro. One can but dream :)

Kind Regards, John

The walls have a white wall paper and by designing the drops to be behind the curtains the white conduit is not that noticable.

DISCLAIMER, the curtains came with the cottage. I have yet to make up my mind, curtains or new wooden shutters and will suffer these until I decide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back