Connecting a 13amp fused switch to ring main (Uk)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to hang a TV on the wall with a single socket behind it. I want to use a 13 amp fused switch supplied from a double socket, that I want to get rid of, but in order to keep the ring main intact i will need to put the 2 live wires, 2 negs and earth from the existing socket into the supply terminals of the fused switch with the load cable going to the single socket behind TV. Will this work?

Sponsored Links
That is generally how it is done, but be aware of the requirement of RCD protection for buried cable and new sockets. Do you have RCD protection on this circuit?

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, the new wires will be run inside a stud wall, I am not sure about the RCD but have uploaded a pic of the consumer unit..

I cant use the existing socket as it is too far away and I would like to hide the wires behind the TV.

Attachments

• IMG_2472.JPG
    IMG_2472.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
I do apologise for the confusion, what I want to do is to use the wires that go to and from the existing socket and Connect them to a fused switch from which i will run a cable to a new single unswitched socket behind the TV. This will allow me to switch the plug off at the end of the day.

I was concerned as to whether it was possible to connect both the wires together into the supply terminals on a 13amp fused switch.

Ah. I see.

I would therefore fit another socket instead of the fused switch.

Fused switch not needed, sockets always handy.

Well the reason for the switch is so that I can switch the TV plug off at the end of the day.

Well the reason for the switch is so that I can switch the TV plug off at the end of the day.
What you could do is: Install a FCU next to double socket, take a feed form that (only needs to be one set of cables, then a load cable to TV Socket. That would keep your double gang sockets available.
But it must be established that the circuit is not a multiple unfused spur first of a ring final.

What you could do is: Install a FCU next to double socket, take a feed form that (only needs to be one set of cables, then a load cable to TV Socket. That would keep your double gang sockets available.
But it must be established that the circuit is not a multiple unfused spur first of a ring final.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

The feed to the socket i want to replace comes straight fromt the consumer unit and the out going lead goes off into the sunset, i guess it feeds other sockets before returning to the mains, I guess I can check this by switching off the mains and disconnecting the socket, and switching the mains back on to see what if any other sockets are working?

I dont have any test equipment other than a srewdriver with a light in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back