Connecting a 13amp fused switch to ring main (Uk)

Well the reason for the switch is so that I can switch the TV plug off at the end of the day.

Therefore you need a switch, not an FCU.

Why not use a switched socket for the new one your TV is plugged into? Most are anyway.

And don't forget your TV will have a switch on it.

Also realise that many TVs are designed to be left in standby so they can automatically update the channel list overnight.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

The feed to the socket i want to replace comes straight fromt the consumer unit and the out going lead goes off into the sunset, i guess it feeds other sockets before returning to the mains, I guess I can check this by switching off the mains and disconnecting the socket, and switching the mains back on to see what if any other sockets are working?
In theory yes but that would be very dangerous the way you've described it.
Do you have any terminal block or something else to terminate the line and neutral wires into? If so you can do that, if not, don't leave live wires loose.

I disconected the socket and switched the mains on, all other sockets in the house were live, so I guess both leads in the socket were indeed on the ring main. I put both the wires into a 30 amp junction box. I intend to take one of the cables and run it it to a couple of new sockets and then to the fused switch supply terminals and from supply terminals back to junction box, with a cable from load to single TV socket..

Reason for Junction box is to remove the existing socket and place juntion box in the loft..

Thanks for all your help and suggestions that you have given.

Sponsored Links
I disconected the socket and switched the mains on, all other sockets in the house were live, so I guess both leads in the socket were indeed on the ring main. I put both the wires into a 30 amp junction box. I intend to take one of the cables and run it it to a couple of new sockets and then to the fused switch supply terminals and from supply terminals back to junction box, with a cable from load to single TV socket..

Reason for Junction box is to remove the existing socket and place juntion box in the loft..

Thanks for all your help and suggestions that you have given.

For the umpteenth YOU DON'T NEED AN FCU. The TV plug will have a fuse as will the TV internally. A switch will do or use a switched socket for your TV. As I said your TV will have a switch anyway and it is probably meant to be left on standby to get overnight channel updates.

Why come on here asking advice and then ignoring it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back