Connecting new dishwasher - advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to order a dishwasher that will be housed next to my existing washing machine. My existing washing machine is a cold fill machine, so I need to to utilise that source of water.

Firstly, I presume I need some sort of splitter to draw the cold water into two appliances, but what exactly do I need. Also, I need to route the dishwasher waste water into the existing waste water pipe. Again, how do I do that.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Your new machine will be mains cold fill also. You will need a second washing machine valve, then you can change the trap under the sink to take the waste from the dishwasher.

Andy

Your new machine will be mains cold fill also. You will need a second washing machine valve, then you can change the trap under the sink to take the waste from the dishwasher.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy. So I need to add a secondary washing machine valve to the existing cold water inlet??

Yes, you might need to add a section of pipe work to run behind the new machine and then fit the washing machine valve. If the waste from the dishwasher is too short to reach the sink waste trap, then you can fit an extension hose to the waste hose from the dishwasher. You might have to change the sink trap with one with an extra spigot to fit the dishwasher waste. Have a look in the screwfix catalogue and you will see what I mean.

Andy

Sponsored Links
You can use the 'y' joint as mention above, but they do have a habit of leaking. It is always best to use a separate washing machine valve, that way the machines can be isolated independently and is a more professional. Not forgetting that it might not reach.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back