connecting rcbo to mcb is it possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm just about to get my consumer unit upgraded , but my shower is on a rcbo in the garage, which connects to the mcb in the consumer unit. This was installed 6 years ago. The cable was cut short so a rcbo was placed in a box in the garage. :( Not good practice I know but the bathroom was complete before we realised.
Now is this still ok with the new 17th wiring reg's.

Thanks

nathan

Sponsored Links
yes that's right the cable wont reach to the consumer unit, but is using the rcd box as a terminal box a better installation practice? Are you saying to then move the rcbo to the consumer unit? If not wouldn't the cable from the terminal box to the consumer unit require to be rated at 80amps. large cable!!!!

thanks

Sponsored Links
yes put the RCBO into the new CU.. ( or more specifically get a breaker / RCBO put in the CU for the shower as it has to be the same type as the rest of the CU. )

The shower is 9.5kw and the run is about 15 meters max in 10mm cable with a 40amp RCBO.

The shower is 9.5kw and the run is about 15 meters max in 10mm cable with a 40amp RCBO.
In that case you should use 10mm² from the terminal box to the consumer unit. 6mm², if clipped direct and completely uninsulated, would be adequate, but the cost saving doesn't make up for the confusion that it could cause.

Now is this still ok with the new 17th wiring reg's.
Afaict that would depend on the type of cable used for the section between the CU and the enclosure in the garage and how that cable is installed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back