connecting thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
want to double check that i am going to connect thermostat to boiler correctly.
the thermostat is voltage free,in the boiler diagram it shows a voltage free thermostat,but it has a live and neutral,my thermostat diagram only shows L.
my thermostat is not going to any time clock,just direct to the boiler,
the boiler diagram has a block of six connections,if i number them 1 to 6 left to right,
do i connect number 1 to L on the thermostat and number 3 to NO on the thermostat.
are there any linking wires needed anywhere

Sponsored Links
give us a fighting chance..
make and model of the thermostat and make and model of the boiler would be a good start.

sorry thought i had added diagrams,trying to work out how to do it.
and sods law internet keeps going off

Sponsored Links
The thermostat terminals COM and NO connect to the two terminals marked red on this diagram:

Doesn't matter which way round the wires are.

This assumes you DON'T have an external timer/programmer, and nothing else is already connected to those terminals.

sorry but another question,when i have looked at the boiler connections,there are two wires already in the connections, which i assume are from the boilers thermostat,
do i just disconnect these two wires and connect the wires from the external thermostat.
as you can see in figure 38,which are the factory settings

thanks flameport,will that mean that the signal will go through the external thermostat then the internal thermostat.
how would that work?
why dos'nt fig 39 which is supposed to be wiring for external theromostat show it that way?
sorry not doubting your advice,just trying to understand it.

thanks coljack,if it's the timer then what happens with the central heating thermostat built into the boiler?

thanks coljack,if it's the timer then what happens with the central heating thermostat built into the boiler?
Its not a thermostat! Most boilers DONT have a built in thermostat because most boilers are not in the living room halfway up the wall!

i think he means the dial on the front that sets the water temp in the pipes in the absence of an external thermostat...

just turn it up to almost max, the thermostat will cycle the boiler on and off when it's needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back