Connecting to mains water pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a refurb at my son's newly purchased house. Part of this will involve connecting to and rerouting the underfloor mains. At the mo, the only isolating valve is the water co. quarter turn tap in the street outside.

1 When the pipe enters the floor void, it is in what looks a bit like gas barrel - a black hefty looking pipe, approx 20mm o/d. How would I connect to this (after sawing) and would I go straight to copper, or into that blue mains pipe first?

2 When eventually connected, I can then attach a stopcock, followed by a pr valve to hold the house pressure at 3 bar. Would I need a strainer at this point, or would the pr valve have an integral strainer.

Sorry if this is basic stuff - I did check the stickies first - but no luck there.

Sponsored Links
is cold mains Iron pipe or plastic? If it is plastic then you may need to cut a bit off as a sample for size as there was a black plastic that was a strange size and you cannot easily get the connector to fit it.

Cold mains is black iron.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
snes said:
Cold mains is black iron.
Thanks!
must be galvanised painted black :confused: quarter turn water co. tap.........is it an old plug cock , and does it actually shut the water off fully :?: if it don`t the water co. should replace it foc. cuz it`s theirs ;)

As Nige says get the water company to replace the stop cock and then use nice 25mm shiny blue mdpe pipe from there. If you want to install a strainer put it after your internal stop tap for ease of cleaning.
Pete

snes said:
I'm doing a refurb at my son's newly purchased house. Part of this will involve connecting to and rerouting the underfloor mains. At the mo, the only isolating valve is the water co. quarter turn tap in the street outside.

1 When the pipe enters the floor void, it is in what looks a bit like gas barrel - a black hefty looking pipe, approx 20mm o/d. How would I connect to this (after sawing) and would I go straight to copper, or into that blue mains pipe first?

2 When eventually connected, I can then attach a stopcock, followed by a pr valve to hold the house pressure at 3 bar. Would I need a strainer at this point, or would the pr valve have an integral strainer.

Sorry if this is basic stuff - I did check the stickies first - but no luck there.

Are you sure you haven't found the gas main?

snes said:

Why reduce the pressure? If you've more than 3 bar count yourself lucky!!

Fluffster said:
As Nige says get the water company to replace the stop cock and then use nice 25mm shiny blue mdpe pipe from there. If you want to install a strainer put it after your internal stop tap for ease of cleaning.
Pete

If it works, then they may not replace it...

Sorry about the delay chaps!

The water co. stop tap in the street is v. up to date - a plastic 1/4 turn tap, which turns the water off fully.

The house pipe is obviously not so modern. I haven't taken a saw to it yet but was hoping to connect using some sort of copper to iron converter. Or would it convert more easily to the blue mains pipe first? I cannot cut a thread on the pipe - I would have to call in my plumber to do that and I was hoping to get a bit further with my progress if possible before he comes in to take over.

The pipe may well be galvanized rather than iron - I am being very loose in my use of language - but I guess you guys can overcome the bozo factor here!

Nigef - there is a gas supply to the house also, but this is not it, as it tees off to feed a tank in the loft.

So, any further ideas? Thanks for all your comments so far.

When I was working for the water board we had a multi pipe fitting that did 1/2" lead, glavanised ( without having to thread it ) & copper, it was a bit bulky & it will only take you to 25mm MDPE but you can get a stoptap that's 25mm MDPE in & 15mm copper out.
Sorry but I cant remember who makes them as it was a few years ago, but I do know they are still using them as I saw one down a hole the other week.
Sad isn't it after 17 years digging them I still have to look down it when I pass one. :rolleyes:

snes said:
The pipe may well be galvanized rather than iron - I am being very loose in my use of language - but I guess you guys can overcome the bozo factor here!

I have used 3/4 imperial olives with a compression fitting in the past on 20mm ish galvanised.....simple ;)

keego said:
When I was working for the water board we had a multi pipe fitting that did 1/2" lead, glavanised ( without having to thread it ) & copper, it was a bit bulky & it will only take you to 25mm MDPE but you can get a stoptap that's 25mm MDPE in & 15mm copper out.
Sorry but I cant remember who makes them as it was a few years ago, but I do know they are still using them as I saw one down a hole the other week.

Still keep one on the van Keego ;) get them off the gangers whenever I have to restock.

I just get them off our gangers as and when, they just get them out of the stores.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back