Connection a junction box to a 10mm ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I tried today to add a spur off of the cooker ring (so I can connect a seperate hob in a different part of the kitchen), which is a 10mm wire. The largest junction box I could find was only for 4mm wire so there was no way I could get it to connect! Does anyone know if a 10mm junction box exists and where I can get it from?

Thanks

Steve.

Sponsored Links
you are not allowed to do what you are trying to do, you will overload the cable and cause a fire, well you did want a cooker will a fire do?

Really?! Let me describe it in more detail in case we're at crossed wires(!)...

There is a 10mm wire comming from the main circuit breaker of the house to the kitchen 'cooker' socket. The oven is wired from that socket, but we also want to connect a seperate hob. So... I thought you could run a spur off of that 10mm wire before it gets to the kitchen socket - are you saying this is a 'no no'?

If it is a 'no no' - how is this normally done?

Many thanks for your help.

Steve.

yes, it is a no-no

the circuit is designed for a cooker ONLY. add anything else and itll overload the circuit and constantly trip the breaker

Sponsored Links
I'll be re-joining it tomorrow then.

Thanks for you help

Steve.

Well, the 10mm wire, that I was going to put a junction box in, has been cut. So if I can't put in a junction box, I'll have to join it.

sharan17a said:
Well, the 10mm wire, that I was going to put a junction box in, has been cut. So if I can't put in a junction box, I'll have to join it.

and how do you plan on doing that?

I was going to add the spur just below the cooker socket. So, the wire is cut just below the cooker socket. I've enought slack to remove the small length from the socket and reconnect the wire that is still connected to the main circuit breaker.

Thanks for all your help.

but the question still remains - if an oven is connected to the cooker socket - how does one power a SEPERATE electric hob?!

if under 3KW it can simply be plugged into a socket. it more then itll need its own radial circuit

sharan17a that is a different socket for the oven not the one the cooker "unit" has

First question- what is the power of the oven? Is it a built-under single oven? If so, it can usually be plugged into a normal socket- this would mean you could connect your hob to the cooker connection unit as you wanted, by running a length of 10mm from the outlet. Electric hobs need a lot more than 3kW so you can`t just plug them in, andrew.

What is a cooker socket for if not for connecting cooking appliances :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back