connections from filtered Faceplate to RJ11 Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I am running a cat5e cable from a filtered faceplate to an RJ11 socket for my modem/router. The filtered faceplate has its own dedicated connections for this purpose (marked A and B in the picture).

I do not understand how to connect the RJ11 end as no instructions came with it.

Could somebody advise how to wire these two up??

Which wires do I connect to A and B on the filtered faceplate and where do they go on the back of the RJ11....??

I see there are two spare holes up the top of the RJ11 where the four coloured wires go in, are they the pace and if so which wire from A nd B goes in which one???

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Do you know which pins in the RJ11 plug are used to connect to the (I suppose modem)

If you do, which ever of those pins marry up with the appropriate colour of wire on the back of the RJ11 socket are the ones to use.
Simply connect from A +B to those colours.
To connect to the terminals on the faceplate you will need a Krone tool and to connect to the RJ 11 socket terminals just slacken the screws and wrap the cable underneath and retighten

connect A and B to the center pins of the RJ11, it shouldn't matter which way round.

connect A and B to the center pins of the RJ11, it shouldn't matter which way round.

So at the Faceplate end, I should connect one set of the twisted pair in the cable to A and B

The RJ11 has two rows of three connections,

Top row as follows from left to right;

Empty
Green
Black

Bottom row from left to right

Yellow
Red
Empty

So you think i should connect the other end of the twisted pair to the green and red??

Sponsored Links
connect the faceplate A+B to green and red ( I think from looking at the pic and your description) if you have a test meter can you check which of the coloured wires goes to the middle two?

The RJ 11 doesnt have two rows of three it has one row of six but the coloured wires from the screww terminals enter through the back of the socket in a staggered fashion just to make it easier to build

If the modular jack is wired to normal standards, as it appears to be from the picture, then green & red are pair 1, which is what you need for an RJ-11 configuration.

Use the first (white/blue) pair in your cable. Polarity won't actually matter for any modern DSL modem, but to follow standards:

A - White/blue - Green
B - Blue/White - Red

But there's no need to use CAT5E cable (in fact if it's a long run it might not be a good idea at all). Regular telephone cable is fine.

If the modular jack is wired to normal standards, as it appears to be from the picture, then green & red are pair 1, which is what you need for an RJ-11 configuration.

Use the first (white/blue) pair in your cable. Polarity won't actually matter for any modern DSL modem, but to follow standards:

A - White/blue - Green
B - Blue/White - Red

But there's no need to use CAT5E cable (in fact if it's a long run it might not be a good idea at all). Regular telephone cable is fine.

Thank you for that,

The Filtered Faceplate instructions told me to use CAT5E cable for the connection. I hope it's ok, as I have run the cable now :(

The length of the run is about 9 metres!!!

There is no problem at all using CAT5, BT's very own ADSL extension kits use CAT5 spec cable!

In average conditions you probably aren't going to notice any difference, but in some cases a long run of CAT5 on a marginal line can cause quite noticeable problems with the DSL signal due to the impedance mismatch between the two types of cable.

The Pressac BT kits are 30M, the cable is basically CAT5 spec (minus one pair.

Why on earth would they build all their kits with CAT5 cable? :confused:

Unless it's just to make them seem "better" to all those who have been hoodwinked into believing that CAT5 cable is somehow necessary or desirable for ADSL. Instructions suggesting that CAT5 is needed (as in this case) aren't helping, of course.

Pressac have been a BT supplier for years, presumably they know their stuff. I can't see that they would spec a cable that wasn't deemed to help performance. Mute point anyway as they have been discontinued!

Most telephone cable I've come across looks very similar to Cat5 in conductor size, insulation, colour coding etc, but the pairs have a much slower twist. That's fine for telephony, and ADSL signal specifications expect that type of cable.

IIRC Cat 3, Cat 5 etc. cabling developed as enhancements to efforts to transmit ethernet signals over standard telephone wiring, so should we refer to telephone cabling as 'Cat1'?

Of course, extending the connection from the 'ethernet' side of the 'modem' will require pukka Cat5 cable.

so should we refer to telephone cabling as 'Cat1'?

Regular telephone cable isn't CAT-anything.
Maybe not, but the original 1BASE-5 or StarLAN systems were developed to utilise telephone wiring, and that standard was the basis for development of the familiar 10BASE-T and 100BASE-T standards, and associated cable types such as CAT3 and CAT5

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back