CONSERVATORY - DIY

Sponsored Links
ADENCOOL said:
1) was it easy enough to consider doing it again
I used to do it for a living but average diy'er should cope.If you come unstuck there should be a helpline phone number with your instruction to help you otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell it on to the public or I can help you as you go along and also you might need a bricklayer to complete the job.
2) did you save any money compared to having a window company install
You will save money otherwise they couldn't sell it on as it became pointless,but having said that get a couple of quote as they are getting cheaper.
3) did you build your own base
See this to help you,if not get back to us.
4) any other relevant info you think i should know
Yes,read the instruction about 10 times :!: a week before you start,keep looking at the parts and try understand where they go. To make life easier label each one where they got to go,make a drawing plan up with code number etc to identify the parts.Don't rush it and take your time and be patient.

I had my builders put my screwfix delux Victorian dwarf wall one up when they were around doing a big extension.
Conserv was £3500 for 3m X 3m fromScrewfix Big stuff (inc delivery, but it does not include the bricks for the dwarf wall).

Cost of laying base, supply and building cavity dwaft wall (including laser cutting of bricks to squint angles) and supply, cutting and fitting window sils was £3000

Base was dug and poured with the main extension foundations, 1/2 day to build dwarf wall. 2 days to assemble conserv (3 guys working)

I'd never get a mahogany (uPVC) double glased Victorian conservatory from any window company for anything close to £6500.
I'd say that the erection cost was so low as they had all the gear on site for the main extension anyway (concrete was delivered ready mixed via concrete pump - mega fast).

Very, very good value. Houseproud is the supplier of conservatories for screwfix. There follow up service is second to none (you deal directly with them). You may even get it cheaper direct from them!

Paul

Sponsored Links
In 1999 I bought and put up a conservatory with my Dad at their house. Neither of us had ever done this before - my dad is a retired care mechanic and I work within engineering as a team leader. We erected a lean to conservatory - base and all. This, to be completely honest, was not to difficult at all. I fact when the guy who supplied the conservatory came around to drop off some of the materials, he actually said that we were doing the job much better than his installation team!! Further to this I am now erecting one at my second house. This time I have gone for georgian stlye - a little harder with respect to the froof but I am sure I will mangae. On both projects I have done the bases's - the first one was a suspended wooden floor - and my current project is having a concrete floor which I am planning underfloor heating on. The saving on doing it yourself is imense. I have had quotes ranging from £9000 to £12000 - I am getting the conservatory direct and have done everthing else myself -total costs (including the underfloor heating and laminate floor covering will be approximately £6000 max. Plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself!! I am more than welcome to any questions you may have as a fellow amature - direct e-mail is [email protected]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back