Decent Drill bits

gcol said:
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section//sn/IRW10501940
These are the business. Can be used on wood and masonry. ;)

Found these nice and cheap on Ebay. The only thing is it says designed for cordless (low rpm) does that mean you shouldn't use them in a normal mains drill?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
No, it means that they have been designed to be efficient so they save battery power when used in a cordless drill. They're fine in a mains drill - the cutting end won't know what's driving it. ;)

I've had a set of Irwin Cordless for 6 months and still as sharp as new. Never need hammer when using them.

There are some blue Bosch ones that are good too.

Screwfix used to sell the Irwin ones pretty cheap but they aren't in the catalogue this year.

Love those models btw, that is real skilled work. I have a customer that makes steam trains. He's just finished a 'black five' after 13 years! It seems like about 3 years to me - where does the time go?

I purchased the Irwin cordless for masonry but after less than two months seem to have managed to have chipped/ruined the 7mm one (the one used 90% of the time). Should I not have been using it on hammer action or have I just been pushing it too hard?

7mmirwincordlessss0.jpg

Sponsored Links
how do you think you would fare being drilled into brickwork after two months! they arent designed to last a life time. i get through 7mm and 8mm ones very quickly

Have you been trying to drill metal with them - they don't like metal like they like brick. Hammer is fine with them.

I never use hammer with mine. They just keep on drilling.

the irwin cordless bit is designed to be used without hammer , using hammer action with them will reduce their working life considerably

seaangler said:
the irwin cordless bit is designed to be used without hammer , using hammer action with them will reduce their working life considerably
That's interesting seaangler, I looked on their site, here http://www.irwin.dk/pdf/KFS_Cordless_Drill.pdf and could see no mention of hammer action reducing drill life. Can you point me to where this is documented? Cheers.

i cannot believe what i'm reading here!

use goddamn hammer action if you need to.

buy a new drill bit if you need to.

we USE our bits for boring holes into masonry. of course they are going to have some stick.

ffs. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back