Decent Drill bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Cant beat Dormer for quality when it comes to twist drills.

So many of the imported ones cut oversize or don't even run true

Jason

Sponsored Links
Dormer are the best, most engineering firms use them so there are lots of liberated ones for sale on e-bay.

Masonry bits, i tend to use either the dewalt extreme ones (as in your link) or Bosch S4 bits.

Hss/ twist, quite agree with Jason, Dormer are the best. But expensive, Irwin ones are quite good. Even a lot of the cheaper ones are okay, they just havnt been sharpened properly from the factory.
:rolleyes:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Cobalt drills are harder than standard jobber drills, and you will break them more easily in a hand drill.
They are more suited for for fixed/pillar drills etc.
You only need them when drilling into hardened materials.

trazor said:
You only need them when drilling into hardened materials.
Not strictly true. We used to use cobalt step drills on a CNC sliding head lathe at a place I used to work at for drilling mild steel - they lasted an age with no chipping.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Both look ok. Be aware though that you'll not be able to resharpen the Irwin ones and keep that fancy cutting edge. With the Dormer drills you can resharpen em to your hearts content.
It depends what you'll be using them for. If wood and metal, get the dormers, if wood and masonry, get the Irwin ones I sent you a link to first. These will do both so when fixing timber to walls you can drill straight through the wood and into the wall without needing to move the timber or change to a masonry bit.:cool: Those that use em swear by em. ;)

gcol said:
Have you tried the Irwin ones Jase?

No, usually use the Bullet ones in the cordless for masonary and hex recess twistdrills to fit my Snappy holder in wood.

Didn't know you were a metal basher, I only do it as a hobby, here are a couple of pics of what I get upto in my shed. You can see why I don't want inaccurate drill bits ;)

Jason

You're missin out Jason, you need to try a set.
Not a metal basher as such - I used to program a CNC lathe for small parts used in electrical swicthgear.
I like your engines - nice work. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back