Conservatory foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been reading up on the internet about foundations for a conservatory.

Nearly all the information i have found tells you to dig down and put the foundations deep in the ground with a wall on top to support the structure.

However i have found a diy conservatory website which has a plan to only dig down 150mm below ground level. Have i misunderstood the diagram or does this sound correct. It sounds an easy way of doing it.

Here is the website and it is example no 2 here

Sponsored Links
spongebob said:
Have i misunderstood the diagram or does this sound correct. It sounds an easy way of doing it.
I think so, the footing in the ground must be minimum 150mm and also 150mm above ground level so the total is 300mm or more.

I'm no expert but looking at the drawing, the smaller foundation seems to be for a conservatory without a brick base, therefore less weight to support. Whether or not this conforms to the regs is another matter

I know that theres a drain pipe under the proposed area but if i use the shallower foundations and a concrete base does that mean theres no need to worry about it.

Normally if digging deeper it would need a lintel above.

Sponsored Links
spongebob said:
I know that theres a drain pipe under the proposed area but if i use the shallower foundations and a concrete base does that mean theres no need to worry about it.
That's okay.
Normally if digging deeper it would need a lintel above.
Yes !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back