Conservatory foundatios.

Coming along nicely!

Are they proper squint bricks, or cut and glued?

Perps are nice and vertical and FNT reckoned it was never done like that... :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
View media item 543View media item 542
Brickwork is now finished, and I am awaiting the glass frames etc.

I have another question. I am fitting electric underfloor heating cable on top of the insulation slabs, which will go onto the concrete slab when the glass is fitted.
The cable will be covered in 80mm of screed, and the cable manufacturers recommend that the screed is put down quite wet to ensure no air gaps adjacent to the cable which may cause hot spots and possible cable failure. However, the builders like to put down the screed fairly 'dry', as they say that this is easier to level.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how to meet both these requirements?

floor screed only has enough water added to it to make it bind.

when a handful of screed is squeezed in your hand, it should only have enough moisture within, to hold it together.

there is no such thing as wet screed.

thought about your scenario.

you could lay it in two parts but you would need the depth first.

lay a 25mm wet screed over the heating mat and let it set.

then lay a proper dry screed at 70mm thick.

OT, but for some reason, I have a strong distrust of builders who wear track suits and or trainers for work. May be a bit of OCD, but it really gets on my nerves :evil:

OT, but for some reason, I have a strong distrust of builders who wear track suits and or trainers for work. May be a bit of OCD, but it really gets on my nerves :evil:

I will pass your comments on.

I have to say that I am delighted with their brickwork and attention to detail. Both brickies were very keen to do a good job. This is the best looking brickwork on any of this house and it's two previous extensions, so if I have to choose between well-dressed brickies or good work, it's no contest.

There is an electric ufh system that goes in a very thin screed 15 or so thick (not cmt/sand obviously!) directly below tiling - I just can't think of the name at the moment...

thought about your scenario.
you could lay it in two parts but you would need the depth first.
lay a 25mm wet screed over the heating mat and let it set.
then lay a proper dry screed at 70mm thick.

This is what I hope to do, depth is no problem, as I require 80mm screed to reach the required level. Logistics is the main problem, as I am laying the cable, already purchased, a top quality make, but the Conservatory supplier is laying the screed. I think I will have to lay the initial 20 - 25mm wet screed myself, a bit of a b****r as it is about 23 square meters.

Not having laid screed before, any advice would be welcome.

Not having laid screed before, any advice would be welcome.

Having researched this further, due to the size of the area, and it looks like 90mm average depth of screed will be required, it will need a pre-mix supplier, so I shall just have to hope that I can persuade the builders to lay it tight to the cable. I don't think I can reasonably expect them to make two screed-laying visits to accommodate my 'wet' & 'dry' requirements.

if you have a garden hose with a fine spray attachment, then you could damp down the contact area first. this will mean the screed immediately in contact with the heating cable, will bind well.

if you have a garden hose with a fine spray attachment, then you could damp down the contact area first. this will mean the screed immediately in contact with the heating cable, will bind well.

That sounds a good idea, but having re-measured, I now find that the total area is 27.25 square meters, so I think it will take a while to lay at 90mm average depth. I still like your earlier suggestion of laying it in two parts. I will approach the supplier and offer 'MONEY' to do it like that. It would be a shame to have a cable failure for the lack of spending a few more pounds.

For anyone still watching, the floor was screeded on Monday 9th June, and I hope the internal door will be fitted today. I have uploaded a pic. with the glassware fitted. View media item 1844
Plastering is due next week, and tiling the floor the week after. So instead of a six to eight weeks, as promised, it will have taken, at least, 14 weeks, but I expect it will be even longer. Pity I didn't insist on a penalty clause.

However, I am still very pleased with the result overall.

Thanks for all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back