conservatory heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone wasnt totally sure where to post this tbh.

Been looking at previous threads on here for this but most seemed a bit old so thought there might be better options now.
I have a 3m by 5m conservatory which I was looking to heat better because basically it's freezing and damp in the winter.

My first thought was to add a radiator to our current system but I believe this is a problem with building regs and also was thinking that the thermostat in the rest of the house would switch off while the conservatory is still cold.

I thought about electric panel heaters of some sort but these would be expensive to run.
Also was reading about "air pumps"? I think but they seem rather expensive and I read somewhere that they are noisy. Although I havnt read it again. I did like the look of these tho esp as they will cool it in the summer.

I would really appreciate some advice as I don't want to go down one route then realize after it was a mistake and waste of money.

Thanks in advance to you all

Sponsored Links
1. £10 blow heater.

2. Radiator piped into existing central heating on a different zone so
it work independent to the house.

3. Oil filled electric radiator.

4. Air con unit. Will do cooling in summer heating in winter. Look for 3.5kw approx.

+1 for air con unit with heat pump installed I have one in mine and its excellent

Thanks for the replies guys.
Sorry but I don't really know much about the heat pumps. When you say air con with a heat pump is this all one unit you buy?
Do you know what sort of price I would be looking at for this?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Virtually all air con units will heat these days but for that size conservatory I would go for a 5kW unit..

Yes all in one unit, you just pipe it as you would a radiator and can be used as air con in the summer or heating in the winter also doubles up as a dehumidifier when on heating so stops condensation in your conservatory

GALLERY]

A bit like that...

That looks very smart I must say.
Problem is I've been looking into them a bit and the price of these things is unbelievable from what I've seen. Am I right im looking easy over a grand for one?

No way can I justify that to heat one room im afraid.

Well, a lot depends on how you use it as well.

We just use a fan heater in ours. It heats it up quickly when ever we want to use it. (it does have a rad as well, but don't use it very often. The fan heat works better for us). I'm not really bothered about cooling it, if it does get too hot then we just do use it at that point - more likely to be in the garden then :) And it is well shaded in summer as it has a grape vine growing in it..

But then we have the flexibility to be able to choose when to use it.

Havent seen any of the second one in your post interesting that it doubles as an air source heat pump and produces heat, all I can say is that I have worked on much larger units and they are not very efficient so dont know if a small unit like that would be but as I say I have never seen one so cant really say, the first one requires an external air handling unit so not really suitable for what you are looking for

Thanks Ian but I'm even more confused now.

I thought they were the sort of thing you were talking about?
An air con unit with a heat pump?

Am I looking at the wrong type of thing?

the unit I have is all contained in one unit and you plumb it in like a radiator so it takes the heat from your central heating system in the winter but is a stand alone cooling unit in the summer, I bought mine from Wickes about 10 years ago and cost around £300 I think , just checked and they dont do them anymore, the second link in your post looks interesting if it works, as said I have never seen one like that

yes i do like the look of it as well but just want to be sure before I buy it.

Im a bit worried about how noisy it will be with the compressor not being outside. Also will it be able to cope with a 15m2 conservatory.

have to look into it a bit more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back