Conservatory Insulation DIY stylee!

Two years of nasty reminders. still there, but if i cover it with the celotex i dont have to clean it off.

Theres always a silver lining if you look hard enough.

Lee...

Sponsored Links
Behind every silver lining there's a forking gert cloud - or, in your case, a "reminder"...

I was afraid there might be... I bought the kit last year, but was wary of using it for that reason.

They do clean off, eventually with a scraper, alcohol ( whisky seemed to get the most cleaned off, beer just slowed things down)
Ahh who am i kidding. its still there and i want to cover it.

Lee...

Sponsored Links
Roughly speaking, every inch reduces the heat loss by half, so 1" gives 50% heat loss, 2" gives 25%, 3" gives 12.5%, 4" gives 6.25% heat loss. What they call "The Law of diminishing returns"; if you work out the "payback period", i.e. the cost vs. the saving, how many years to get my money back, it's probably not worth going over 4", despite what the Bldg Regs say !

That's actually for normal loft insulation; kingspan is a better insulator.
I figured those out forty years ago when insulating our first house with fibreglass.

So I dun sum more sums:-
Kingspan reduces your heat loss:-
10mm by 72%
25mm by 86%
50mm by 93%
75mm by 95%
100mm by 96%
300mm by 98.7%

so that extra 200mm from 100 to 300 only gets you another 3% saving, but costs you twice as much as the first 100mm that gives you 96% saving.

Similarly, doubling it from 50mm to 100mm (costing as much again) also only gives you a 3% improvement.

So I guess maybe I was wrong to suggest 100mm; 50mm is probably quite enough; and your 25mm is quite respectable, rather than what I described as "awful thin" !

Sorry :oops:

BUT... do bear in mind that this is
Kingspan / Celotex (0.023 W/m/degK) - not
fibreglass (0.04) or
rockwool (0.045) or
styrofoam (0.033),
for which the figures would be different.

Well thats the first time anyone has said sorry for calling me awfully thin!!

The boards have arrived today, they are not as shiny and smooth as they were in the picture! can i send them back?

There seems to be alot of it is my first comment, pretty sure i measured correctly, and moving it around inside the conserv is a bit of a pain.

But good to hear that it may not be a waste of time and money if i can reduce heat loss through the roof by 86%.

So a bit of prep today then tomorrow its measure once cut twice time!! thats how it goes isnt it??

Not sure whether to paint them with a textured paint, use a filler paint or just paper them and paint that. Any ideas what sticks best to the foil backing??

Lee...

Hi nickeas can you let us know how you got on, i mean now its winter and all has it made and difference to the temp. I am also planning on doing the same. also if you can upload a image of the work you did that would be great. hope it all went according to plane and you now have a nice comfy warm conservatory. let us all know.

Hi,

It worked great, I wall papered over it with thick lining paper and then painted it white, i then took off the conservatory doors and it looked more like an extension than a conservatory.
It kept all the heat in and we could use it like a normal room without even changing our previous central heating times/temps.
i wish i had done it years ago when we first bought the house, cost less than £150 i would say.
And on the plus side it helped us sell our house that had been on the market for almost three years!!!! View media item 55411 View media item 50639

Well that looks good and it's one of the things that I do. You have to be careful not to let moist air get up behind it though,

You are NOT allowed to remove the doors though. You are very, very naughty. :p

Thanks,

I called my insurance company and they said it was fine. Unless you mean theres a building reg or something??

It is classed as an extension if not separated by the doors to the house, and building regs apply.

Didnt know that?

Could i get away with saying its a Moroccan style house that doesnt have doors?? He He...

The doors are at the shop getting fixed, the dog ate them, its not my fault!!!

:LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back