Conservatory Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put 2 radiators in my conservatory. Will it work OK if i just tee off the pipes (15mm) to the radiator in the adjacent room and run the pipes via a couple of shut off valves through the wall into the conservatory.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
depends how many rads are already on that 15mm feed and how big your boiler is

too many rad it will be the devils own job to make em work

too small a boiler and they wont heat up anyhow

Great this plumbing lark aint it

:)

Apart from that don't forget this: (from a previous post of mine)

To be exempt from Building regs two of the criteria of the conservatory are that it is not permanently heated ie it is not heated from the central heating system but instead uses individual electric heaters, for example.
It should also be seperated from the house by a proper door or patio window.

Turbonutter, why don't you use electric heaters? You'll save your own money and comply with regs.

That'll be about the third time I've said that in the last week!! I don't sound like a broken record do I? Do I? :confused:

Or if you prefer to heat your conservatory in a way that it is comfortable and wont break the bank to run, might I suggest a decent quality air to air heat pump, heats in the winter and cools in the summer and complies with the regs.. The problem with radiators other than what has already been stated is that the heat rises and escapes quickly through the roof...Just a thought

Sponsored Links

To be exempt from Building regs two of the criteria of the conservatory are that it is not permanently heated ie it is not heated from the central heating system but instead uses individual electric heaters, for example.
It should also be seperated from the house by a proper door or patio window.

Turbonutter, why don't you use electric heaters? You'll save your own money and comply with regs.

That'll be about the third time I've said that in the last week!! I don't sound like a broken record do I? Do I? :confused:

You and me both Breesey :rolleyes:

You cannot legally put rads in a conservatory

Do you know I never knew that

blimey you live and learn dont ya

Not wanting to sound like I am blatantly disagreeing with you both, but I recently trawled through the Part L regs and could only find mention of an exterior building added on and not specifically conservatory's. This also stated that anything, if I remember rightly, under 30m2 was exempt.

Perhaps you could point me to the exact reg about conservatory's as I couldn't find it :confused:

Nor me..never given it a moments thought..never ever heard it mentioned in passing by anyone in the trade that I've spoken too either.

What exactly is the reason for not doing it? I'd imagine that half the conservatories that I've been in have one!

depends how many rads are already on that 15mm feed and how big your boiler is

too many rad it will be the devils own job to make em work

too small a boiler and they wont heat up anyhow

Great this plumbing lark aint it

The boiler is big enough, I have been told it is over size for the house.

there is 1 rad on the 15mm feed, which is off a 22mm feed.

So should prob ably be Ok?

If I fit isolating valves does this make it legal. I was told by a mate that this was the way to do it.

Thanks again

Don't know the regs on this one but I too have heard that the conservatory is not regarded as a permanent part of the house and so shouldn't be heated by the houses heating system... Suspect that I may learn something shortly..

My building inspector didn't like my conservatory... It was all made of brick with a tiled and insulated roof...

Part L doesn’t prohibit heating a cons. via the main central heating system! If it’s (to keep it) exempt from the regs. the requirement is for independent temperature controls & on/off controls &, as you say, a door providing the same thermal separation as the existing dwelling.

When i built my conservatory, i was told that a conservatory is classed as a temporary structure. Extending the central heating system into it, changes it to a permanent structure which is then subject to the usual planning consent etc.

When i built my conservatory, i was told that a conservatory is classed as a temporary structure. Extending the central heating system into it, changes it to a permanent structure which is then subject to the usual planning consent etc.
Who told you that, Your LABC or the Cons. salesman because he wanted to supply you some nice electric under floor heating or expensive rads?

Most conservatories less than 30sq/m will not normally require planning consent anyway. We are, however, concerned with Building Regs. from which they will be exempt (with the exception of electrics) if they meet the following criteria:
• Have an area of less than 30 square metres & be situated at ground level
• Have walls more than 75% glazed satisfying Part N regs. (safety)
• Have a transparent or translucent roof.
• Have a heating system that is capable of being both independently controled & isolated; - in it’s simplest form, a TRV & separate isolation valves on that loop
• Be closed off from the main house by a door or other barrier of at least the same thermal efficiency as the existing dwelling.

This can be found in the latest Part L Regs. or, for those that find them a little heavy going (including me!), have a look at the simple guide my local Council has posted on it website.
http://north-norfolk.gov.uk/plannin...onservatory_Building_Regulations_Viewable.pdf
There are also stacks of DG companies posting similar guides on their websites.

Building control and planning consent are different.

A temporary building (conservatory) within certain constraints does not need planning consent. The point is that adding radiators as part of the house heating system may make it permanent and hence require planning consent.

Simple answer - speak to your planning dept. and see what they say, if they say it needs planning permission with radiators put an application in, if they say it does and you don't get permission you risk not being able to sell the house!

Building control and planning consent are different.

A temporary building (conservatory) within certain constraints does not need planning consent. The point is that adding radiators as part of the house heating system may make it permanent and hence require planning consent.

Sorry but that’s not right either; the requirements for PP & BR are, as you say, quiet different but are mutually exclusive. I agree you should always check as certain conditions associated with a particular property may mean you need PP. However, non compliance with BR on a heating installation i.e. not separately controlled or isolated (or any other requirement for that matter), will not make what is otherwise a temporary structure, because of all of the other factors, into a permanent one & suddenly make the cons. subject to PP if that wasn’t already the case; you will just get jumped on by BC to comply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back