Conservatory wall options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I’m hoping someone can help….

I recently moved into my house which has a conservatory. Unfortunately, the conservatory wall is single skin (yes, poor I know) which was originally cladded on the inside with some wooden boards. Most of the boards were in a bad state so I decided to remove them over the weekend to see what was behind and decide on the appropriate course of action.

Having removed the boards, I found that they were attached to a wooden frame which sits about 2cm away from the wall all the way round. The wooden frame seems sturdy and there is no sign of any damp on the inside of the wall and the wall to the exterior has good pointing.

I’ve uploaded some pictures to dropbox which may help explain what I’m talking about.

So my question is; what is the best and cost effective way to make the conservatory look more pleasant? From doing some research online, should I:

• Remove all of the wooden frame and fix insulated plasterboard to the walls?
  • Keep the wooden frame, insert insulation in between the wooden frame (leaving a small cavity between the wall and insulation) and then either:
    • Attach plasterboard to the wooden frame or
    • Attach UPVC cladding to the wooden frame
  • Do away with the insulation and attached plasterboard/UPVC cladding to the wooden frame
I’m not sure if there will be much benefit to insulating the small area of wall as there isn’t a constant heat source in the conservatory.

I’d welcome your constructive thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Nad

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back