Consumer box safety testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a modern consumer unit which was last tested in 2012. When I switched to EDF energy they sent someone round just to update the meter and he ran a load of safety tests.

My question is - a few years on - would I need to arrange for sparky to come round and test for safety at my own expense, or would the energy company do that?

I'm thinking the first but just thought I would check!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
An EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) is what you would need. As the name implies, this is a report into the condition of the electrical installation and to highlight any safety shortcomings, defects or deviations from the current revision of the electrical regulations BS7671.

It is recommended for a EICR to be carried out every 10 years (or on change of tenant if the property is rented).
Anything after the electric meter is your responsibility.

You have a few years to go if the last test on your installation was in 2012, but the meter guy will not have tested anything inside the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back