consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I want to buy HAGER consumer unit which are on special offer 6+6 split load 100 AMP main incommer and 63 AMP rcd protection side for about £80 with 10 mcb,s of ower choice.Idealy i would have liked 80 AMP rcd protection side.Is 63AMP rcd side ok and what is best combination of mcb,s to go for.Double electric oven is going to go in kitchen.Electric shower with it,s own encloure possible.Side extention to the property in future is also possibility.Another consumer unit "crabtree" is 15 way split load with 80 amp rcd protection sold by screw fix for £70(including 10 mcb,s) looks intresting although main incommer on left side i donot like.
Please shed some light on this subject.thank you.

Sponsored Links
Go for the larger consumer unit with 80A RCD - the spare ways are always handy to have.

Why do you not like the main incomer on the left side?

To work out the best combination of MCB's consider all the circuits you have in your house... you'll want atleast:

2 ring circuit - upstairs + downstairs (32A)
1 ring circuit for kitchen (32A)
Radial for fridge/freezers (20A)
2 lighting circuits - upstairs + downstairs (6A)
Shower (40A - 50A)
Cooker (32A - 50A)
Shed garage supply (32A+)

Can you think of any more that apply to your house?

Davy

I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

You've thumbed through the catalogue, and seen a bright shiny thing, and thought "that's nice, how can I use it?"

You should be looking at your installation first, and thinking "what do I need?" then looking to find a product that meets your requirements.

p.s. What has attracted you to the Hager, apart from the price?

Screwfix stock a whylex split board with 10 breakers included that has a 80A RCD and the incommer in the right for 70 coins

Someone else can do the PP, certification, competant person, etc monologue...

Sponsored Links
With a 63 A RCD you can be near its limit if you've got or ever have a large electric shower fitted which is in use and say someone is boiling the kettle, the tumble drier is on etc etc.
Although probably not a problem slight overload as a one off but repeated cases of it could shorten the life of the RCD

JohnD said:
p.s. What has attracted you to the Hager, apart from the price?

Reminds me of Mrs Merton:

"So, Debbie, what attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

davy_owen_88 said:
Go for the larger consumer unit with 80A RCD - the spare ways are always handy to have.

Why do you not like the main incomer on the left side?

To work out the best combination of MCB's consider all the circuits you have in your house... you'll want atleast:

2 ring circuit - upstairs + downstairs (32A)
1 ring circuit for kitchen (32A)
Radial for fridge/freezers (20A)
2 lighting circuits - upstairs + downstairs (6A)
Shower (40A - 50A)
Cooker (32A - 50A)
Shed garage supply (32A+)

Can you think of any more that apply to your house?

Davy
Thanks davy for detailed responce.
I have 4 rings,kitchen,ground floor sockets,first floor sockets and second floor sockets.For lighting i have ,ground floor lighting,first floor lighting and second floor lighting.Fridge/freezer are normally used on kitchen ring.garage is going to have its own small consumer unit.If i go for electric shower it has to be close to 10kw.double electric oven but no electric cooker.Now what size mcb should i go for electric shower 40 or 50 amp, what size mcb for double electric oven and garage.Another thing you have not said anything about CRABTREE consumer units.wylex is mentioned by another spark,s.I believe crabtree and wylex are made or owend by same company.Which would be your choice between these two.

Saleem, I've said it before and I have no problem saying it again.

Your questions on this forum in the past have done nothing to assure me that you are competent to do this work. This latest question only reinforces that view.

Please, for the sake of your family or your tenants, get it done by a professional.

dingbat said:

Your questions on this forum in the past have done nothing to assure me that you are competent to do this work. This latest question only reinforces that view.

Please, for the sake of your family or your tenants, get it done by a professional.
Sorry mate you got me wrong.I am not doing anything myself.I have to supply my choice CU to electrition.There are good offers on CU,s with mcb,s of ower own choice.

saleem said:
Sorry mate you got me wrong.I am not doing anything myself.I have to supply my choice CU to electrition.There are good offers on CU,s with mcb,s of ower own choice.

In that case let the electrician supply it himself. He'll get exactly what he needs and at a better price than you've quoted.
And, if you haven't consulted him on this, he probably won't thank you for making this choice for him...

...if he exists. ;)

dingbat said:

Sorry pal you got me wrong.I am not doing anything myself.My deal with qualified electrition is to supply CU of my choice.There are good bargains such as crabtree 15 way split load with 10 mcb,s or wylex and hager 6+6.Some offer mcb,s of ower own choice,for that reason i put the question on forum which could help me pick up better set of mcb,s.

I would leave it to your spark to get the kit. He knows more than you, or us as we are not on site. Also, if you get your kit the spark is not likely to guarantee it.

If you really want to make your 'spark' happy then why not get the Volex consumer units from Screwfix. You can get TWO for £100 with all the cbs as well.

Can't think why we all aren't buying them eh lads? :evil:

Lads?..

TTC

seriously theese deals on fully loaded CUs seem to be about as good as you can get, they are usually much cheaper than buying the parts seperately. Just make sure its big enough, the breakers you need are included and its a good brand (hager are pretty good afaict, volex are regarded as sh1t by most people here)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back