consumer unit

RF Lighting said:
Personally I am not keen on wylex. I do not think the MCBs are very good quality, and the box seems flimsy.

I like hager, especially their new range.

My local wholesaler is selling hager 6+6 S/L board 100A main switch, 63A RCD & 10 MCBs for £54.99 + vat.

http://www.ecs-electrical.com/

(Click the logo, and click on ECS flier (top left) its on page 10)
They don't sell online, but it is worth trying you local wholesaler.

Pensdown said:
It's a bit like like seeing a very cheap geny in a shed and thinking wow that's cheap how can I use it ? ;)

My new generator is working a treat thanks ;)
I agree hager are better make than wylex.I had one fitted in my old house last year.I purchased very same board you mentioned from my local wholesaler.it has 63 amp rcd protection while i want 80 amp rcd.Apart from hager which CU would you recmend.Screwfix are sellig CRABTREE 15 way split load with 80 amp RCD fitted(with 10 mcb,s).

Sponsored Links
Agreed, SS. MEM then Wylex.

I used to use MK but its rubbish now. I had a number of cbs where the screw would not tighten up on the busbar which equaled return visits to site and I hate having to go back

TTC

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
Agreed, SS. MEM then Wylex.

I used to use MK but its rubbish now. I had a number of cbs where the screw would not tighten up on the busbar which equaled return visits to site and I hate having to go back

TTC
what,s SS.What do you make of CONTACTUM CU.

JohnD said:
SS = securespark

You can't buy one ;)
Few spark,s have recmended MEM or wylex.I have tried all wholesalers in my area but no one stocks MEM CU,strange.There are two types of MEM,one MEM2000 and the other MEM2000 AD.Which is latest and better.Best deal so for on wylex is 17 way split load with 80 AMP RCD (including 12 mcb,s of my choice) only £100.It is very difficult to choose mcb,s.choosing 6amp or 32 amp is no problem.Shower is going to be around 10 kw.I am going to buy double electric oven,but do not know how many kw that is going to be.What size mcb for shower and oven if it is wetween 3&4 kw.

MEM are excellent.

I'm stunned to hear that none of your local suppliers carry them.

MEM is used a lot on commercial and industrial installations where a fault can mean lost production and cost a lot of money. This means they have to be very reliable but are not a cheapy cheap buy. The single-phase MCBs and isolators from the Industrial range will fit in the single-phase domestic CUs which is handy; as will the RCBOs, which due to their design are available in an enormous range.

The industrial range is called "Memshield 2" and is a lot more expensive (even the single-phase DBs which, apart from the cost, could be used domestically). Grey-painted steel enclosures, you've probably seen them around.

The domestic/light commercial ranges are "Memera 2000" and "Memera 2000 AD". The "AD" is the later design but both are current manufacture. "AD" is a more curved shape and has the advantage that you can cut the busbar of split-load boxes to suit your requirements. E.g. you can use a 12-module CU as a 10/2 split, or a 9/3, or a 6/6, or a 5/7.

However it is my opinion that the "2000" range is stronger and had more room inside. This is particularly relevant in the larger enclosures which may hold as many as 21 devices which are quite heavy, and if some of them are RCBOs you have an extra set of thick Neutral and thin functional earth wires to find room for.

The enclosures are cream coloured and are available in plastic or steel. the steel is stronger but more expensive. They are available in unusually large sizes but 12-way is the largest common size.

There are some pictures of MEM CUs on //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70551&start=0
People in the know ;) use them a lot

JohnD said:
MEM are excellent.

I'm stunned to hear that none of your local suppliers carry them.

MEM is used a lot on commercial and industrial installations where a fault can mean lost production and cost a lot of money. This means they have to be very reliable but are not a cheapy cheap buy. The single-phase MCBs and isolators from the Industrial range will fit in the single-phase domestic CUs which is handy; as will the RCBOs, which due to their design are available in an enormous range.

The industrial range is called "Memshield 2" and is a lot more expensive (even the single-phase DBs which, apart from the cost, could be used domestically). Grey-painted steel enclosures, you've probably seen them around.

The domestic/light commercial ranges are "Memera 2000" and "Memera 2000 AD". The "AD" is the later design but both are current manufacture. "AD" is a more curved shape and has the advantage that you can cut the busbar of split-load boxes to suit your requirements. E.g. you can use a 12-module CU as a 10/2 split, or a 9/3, or a 6/6, or a 5/7.

However it is my opinion that the "2000" range is stronger and had more room inside. This is particularly relevant in the larger enclosures which may hold as many as 21 devices which are quite heavy, and if some of them are RCBOs you have an extra set of thick Neutral and thin functional earth wires to find room for.

The enclosures are cream coloured and are available in plastic or steel. the steel is stronger but more expensive. They are available in unusually large sizes but 12-way is the largest common size.

There are some pictures of MEM CUs on //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70551&start=0
People in the know ;) use them a lot
Many thanks for complete advise which has made me more determind to go for MEM 2000 AD.Would you know any wholesaler on internet from whom i could purchase MEM CU.

If you need a set of MCBs put your email address on your profile.

JohnD said:
If you need a set of MCBs put your email address on your profile.
I need to buy complete CU.Need to know compatative shops on internet.

If you find a local supplier that sells MEM Industial stuff, ask what price he can offer you. You will probably get it discounted. If he carries a lot of MEM Industrial stuff he will have the MCBs and things in stock and they also fit in the Memeras, and he will have a regular delivery of other things to order. This will also save you carriage. MCBs are not usually supplied with the CU. Get a good big one with room for future expansion, and blank off the unused ways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back