consumer unit

I'd be happy with the fully loaded MK CU that screwedfix are selling, providing the supplied MCBs were right for the particular installation.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

You've thumbed through the catalogue, and seen a bright shiny thing, and thought "that's nice, how can I use it?"

You should be looking at your installation first, and thinking "what do I need?" then looking to find a product that meets your requirements.

p.s. What has attracted you to the Hager, apart from the price?

I'm with Johnd. Design your installation first and then select the right switch gear. It's a bit like like seeing a very cheap geny in a shed and thinking wow that's cheap how can I use it ? ;)

plugwash said:
seriously theese deals on fully loaded CUs seem to be about as good as you can get, they are usually much cheaper than buying the parts seperately. Just make sure its big enough, the breakers you need are included and its a good brand (hager are pretty good afaict, volex are regarded as s**t by most people here)
You are right volex are regarded as s**t by most people but i have asked openion on wylex which is different.Hager 6+6 splitload with 10 mcb,s of ower choice for £ 80 seems good price but limited protection on RCD side 63amp only.Wylex on other hand similar spec with 80 amp rcd proctection again 10 mcb,s as a package ie, two 6 amp,four 32 amp,two 16amp,one 40 amp etc seems not bad either.I do not know which brand is most popular with sparks.

Personally I am not keen on wylex. I do not think the MCBs are very good quality, and the box seems flimsy.

I like hager, especially their new range.

My local wholesaler is selling hager 6+6 S/L board 100A main switch, 63A RCD & 10 MCBs for £54.99 + vat.

http://www.ecs-electrical.com/

(Click the logo, and click on ECS flier (top left) its on page 10)
They don't sell online, but it is worth trying you local wholesaler.

Pensdown said:
It's a bit like like seeing a very cheap geny in a shed and thinking wow that's cheap how can I use it ? ;)

My new generator is working a treat thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
Personally I am not keen on wylex. I do not think the MCBs are very good quality, and the box seems flimsy.

I like hager, especially their new range.

Isn't that odd?

I think Hager are flimsier than Wylex, given their plastic din rail. Read the review of the new board in PE last month. Do the new boards have a plastic din rail also?

The only thing I like about Hager is that special channel for the tails, but that makes it wider. The Wylex range are quite compact considering the number of ways. This makes them good for tight cupboards.

Also, I've only had a problem with two breakers, both of those the screw securing outgoing cables stripped.

The new hager CUs now have a proper metal din rail. I agree, the old hagers were let down by this. It meant you couldn't install a din mount time switch or contactor :cry:

This is one my apprentice fitted recently.

Note the spirit level in the bottom of the CU :LOL:

IMGP1676.jpg

Yep, feed is currently a 2.5mm² T&E, buried underground, no mech protection :eek:

6.0mm² SWA is going in when the drive gets done

So the new one doesn't have that channel for the tails? And apart from the slight improvement of a metal rail, the rest of it looks flimsier than the last generation.

French carp!!

Thinks for a moment....is it French???

securespark said:
So the new one doesn't have that channel for the tails? And apart from the slight improvement of a metal rail, the rest of it looks flimsier than the last generation.

French carp!!

Thinks for a moment....is it French???
If hager or wylex both are not your favourite then what would be your chioce.Nobody has shed any light on crabtree so for.

I thought I intimated in my previous posts that I liked Wylex over Hager.

Wylex & Crabtree are both made by Electrium.

There are two disadvantages I can see with Crabtree. For some odd reason, Crabtree RCBO's are all C type. Wylex's used to be, but now they make a limited range of B types.

Also, Crabtree's standard RCD fit in a S/L board is 63A. You need at least 80A, given that most of the CU's load will be through this device.

MK, I think are flimsy rubbish - I would even go so far as to say they are worse than Hager.

They are nothing like the old MK Sentry.

So, my top choice, if pushed, would be MEM. Then Wylex second.

Having said that, when I was S/E I fitted a lot of Steeple (Denman's own) which are rebadged GE boards. For the price - they're very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back