Consumer Units and shower rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been to look at a job today in a log cabin located in a holiday village.
Following a PIR the old metal Wylex Consumer Unit is being replaced by one with RCBO's. However, the Unit and associated supplier gear is actually located in a built in cupboard in the shower room.

After a quick look around the site all the other cabins have the same arrangement.

The cabinet is just outside zone 2 when measured from the outside corner of the shower partition wall.

Is there a regulation or some other requirement that states this cupboard should be locked or only accessible with some form of tool (screwdriver)? The spark who did the PIR put this down as Code 1.

Sponsored Links
Not ideal but if its outside zones then it isn't a code 1.

Therefore the cupboard does not need to be lockable. Blah de blah.

The only issue would be whether the consumer unit is suitable for the steamy environment of the bathroom.
But still not a code 1, what's he like, eh?

Thanks TTC -
I know PIR's are subjective but I use the Electrical Safety Council leaflet on PIR's as a starter for ten - I don't think this guy has seen it. Twelve items raised only 2 correctly coded.
He even managed to get TN-S mixed up with TN-C-S.
Unfortunately he is NAPIT registered like me. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back