cooker ccu replaced by 20a dp switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
hope someone can help
I have a 2.2kw cooker connected to a 13a fused outlet which is connected to a 45a ccu and 32a mcb,
I am replacing cooker with a 4kw double oven.
i assume i am right in calculating that the cooker will take less than 20a
so am going to replace the 13a fused outlet with a cooker outlet and a ccu with a 20a dp switch.....is this allowed?
(I know it would be easier to replace the ccu with a ccu but the space in the wall does not allow me to go deep enough as i am removing tiles from wall.)
thanks in advance
pg

Sponsored Links
You would also need to replace the 32A MCB with a 20A device, and the work is notifiable, but in theory your idea seems sound.

Hi matthew
thanks for quick reply
i thought that i might have to change mcb as well but hoping i would not have to!!
as this now brings in more probs
first i have an ashley and rock consumer unit and i cannot find a 20a mcb as i believe they are now obsolete!
if i did find one or an equivalent is it correct that i could not fit it anyway due to part P ??
so in effect i would have to upgrade consumer unit.
thanks
pg.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think cooker switches need to be marked with an orange or red switch, whereas 20A DP switches are usually white. I could be wrong though.

Sponsored Links
hi sparkyspike
thanks for reply i thought that a label stating "cooker" on the switch would suffice is this not the case does it have to have a coloured switch as well???
hi plugwash
i wish it was that easy
the ccu is mounted on a partition wall between the kitchen and dining room walls are plaster board in each room with about 30mm gap in between
the only way to make it deeper is to cut through into the dining room
the wife would not like it!
pete

Current MK's aren't red, but are marked 'cooker'. I don't know if either is an actual requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back