Cooker control MCB size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a CCU with a 3kW single fan oven and a socket outlet, is there any reason why a 16A breaker can't be used, instead of a 32 or a 20 - it's just that I could do with the current 32 for something else (the something else is a ring main in 2.5, so no issue there) - is there a minimum amount of capacity over and above the load of the oven that the socket has to be able to provide?

Sponsored Links
tbh it's a bit silly to bother doing this, considering how cheap circuit breakers are.

Your oven is a 13 amp FIXED load, so basically it means you are only going to leave 3 amps for the socket. Whilst it is still not illegal (ie it becomes a 16 amp radial) , it is asking to be overloaded - especially in a kitchen environment.

All someone needs to do is plug in a kettle/ dryer/washing machine/or some other large load, and the mcb will trip. OK Maybe not instantly, but pretty soon, especially if you are cooking at the same time!

If the breaker is hard to get hold of, then I suppose you could replace the cooker switch with one that does not have a socket and use your 16 amp breaker for just the oven circuit.

Incidentally, what is this new ring you have put in? I'm assuming it's a new kitchen ring? If so, then there's definitely no need for that socket on the ccu anyway.

I'll get another 32 amp breaker then - the ring is the existing kitchen ring, which for some unknown reason has always had a 15 amp fuse - swapped all the breakers for like for like sizes but said fuse was looking a bit worse for wear, and was obviously inadequate for the load (dishwasher, kettle, microwave) so was looking to uprate it to be the right size for the circuit in the first place - there's not enough clearance that side of the hob to put more than one electrical fitting (unless I put one above the other), so it made sense to have the ccu with a single socket there, and the rest of the sockets to the other side on the more useful worktop area. The socket currently supplies a radio, and I thought I read something about only having to provide 5 amps more than the cooker for this outlet, ie. about 16-17amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back