Cooker hood not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just bought a new house and the cooker hood extractor fan isn't working. I asked the previous owner, and she said just to replace the bulbs, but it's like there is no power getting to the hood at all.

Any advice out there? Will changing the bulbs make the fan work?

I'm a bit clueless about these things! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Paula

Sponsored Links
It is normal for cooker extraction fans to have a switched fused connection unit located nearby -
Firstly, check that this is switched on.
If it still does not work then you should check the fuse is present/working.

Unless it is wired in a very strange manner then the extractor fan should work whether the lights are functional or not.

If none of the above resolves the problem then you will have to check for loose wiring at the switched fused connection unit and/or the wiring at the extractor fan.
If this is intact then you would need to start testing the circuits - or alternatively speak to the manufacturer to see whether they do a repair/fault diagnosis service.

Sponsored Links
Find where the extractor connects to the power. Per the above it may be a plug or a fused spur.

Check/change the fuse (it should be 3AMP). That usually does the trick.

Quite often the fuse will go when one of the lamps in the extractor goes pop, that stops it all working.
Let us know if that sorts it for you :D

I have also seen a fan not working where the client had leant a chopping board against the isolating switch and had turned it off. That was the easiest call out charge I ever had - I didn't even have time for a cup of tea..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back