Cooker on existing ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm about to fit a new double oven with a rating of 0.9KWh. Would I be safe to plug this into a socket on the existing ring main or does it require a separate circuit to the consumer unit?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Biskit, please check again the rating of your oven.
It will be rated in KW not KWh

I dont believe a figure of 0.9 for a double oven. A kettle is 3KW!

Biskit the figure you're looking for will be between 3kw and 6kw. Other info on the rating plate will include 230-240 volts AC ~ 50Hz

Sponsored Links
Hi,

It's an Ikea oven (made by Whirlpool) and they don't give the total power rating. I've looked on the Whirlpool web site and a similar looking double oven is 5800 W total power. I guess that's the magic number everyone is waiting for!

I read somewhere that a ring main should have a max of 7000W, so I think I've answered my own question - it does need a dedicated circuit?

Would this be OK on 2.5mm twin & earth cable or should it be thicker?

Thanks.

A ring final circuit can supply a *total* of 7000w, but a max of 3000w per point!

You'd be looking at 4mm² as a min for a cooker circuit, and it'd be sensible to install 6mm² as a min these days really, some would install 10mm²

Are you sure your competant to do this work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back