Corrosion inhibitor coming out of hot water taps?

you should also contact the maker of the inhibitor to get absolute info on the danger of it being in the tank, and the procedure/flushing agent you want to use to get rid of it, i wouldnt be happy just to flush it through i would be cleaning my tank, empty it, clean the tank thouroughly then refill and flush as per manufacturers advice you dont want any of it left in the tank, long term effect could be detrimental to the users

Sponsored Links
right, spoke to the geezer at lunch and he says just run the hot water with the supply to the tank cut off, refill it and it'll be fine.

he then said that he'd be round in the week to put in another bottle of inhibitor, this time into one of the radiators.

im assuming having read the last few posts this isn't the way to go?!

kinda getting a bit narked off now, no hot water or washing machine=one peed off missus......

right, spoke to the geezer at lunch and he says just run the hot water with the supply to the tank cut off, refill it and it'll be fine.
I can only assume you are ignoring his advice given previous actions...

he then said that he'd be round in the week to put in another bottle of inhibitor, this time into one of the radiators.
As above.

im assuming having read the last few posts this isn't the way to go?!
Correct. Your style of system cannot accept any form of inhibitor without risk of contaminating the hot water.

kinda getting a bit narked off now, no hot water or washing machine=one peed off missus......
You've had all the advice you need so stop posting here and crack on what's been suggested! ;)

Mathew

im kind of posting in between stages..... :D

i took the advice of kirkgas above and rang the makers of the inhibitor. he said pretty much all of what you have above. no 'anti-agent' etc, just flush through.

im on my second flush as im typing now.

one thing i dont understand, the hydro spartan? does this mean the hot water and central heating systems share the same water? if not then how do they mix together?

im just curious as most mechanics are nosey barstewards who want to know how stuff works, and the guy on the inhibitor phone line said it would be fine to put it into one of the radiators.

not doubting anyones advice on here for a second, just wondering how you stop the internals corroding if you cant put inhibitor in and how come the two systems would mix?

this is actually quite naughty though isn't it? lucky i didn't give the kids a bath when i was going to!?! :eek:

Sponsored Links
one thing i dont understand, the hydro spartan? does this mean the hot water and central heating systems share the same water? if not then how do they mix together?
I'm no expert, but having done some Googling your system utilises an air bubble to seperate the CH and HW thus allowing feed and expansion for the CH without an additional tank. Under normal operation they wouldn't mix, but there's no guarantee of that air bubble maintaining seperation under all circumstances.

just wondering how you stop the internals corroding if you cant put inhibitor in
You can't.

this is actually quite naughty though isn't it? lucky i didn't give the kids a bath when i was going to!?! :eek:
For someone in the trade, yes, there's no excuse. By all accounts these systems are relatively rare, but they're not unheard of. The Stephenson's Rocket add-on should have raised questions for him even if he didn't know what it was.

Mathew

For someone in the trade, yes, there's no excuse. By all accounts these systems are relatively rare, but they're not unheard of. The Stephenson's Rocket add-on should have raised questions for him even if he didn't know what it was.

Stephenson's Rocket. :LOL:

Begs the question as to why I've got one of these in a house that was built in 2003.

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to all that have posted on here, water's been fine since yesterday evening.

OP, if you can be bothered, get a F&E tank fitted to give you the isolation you need. This will mean the big copper doughnut can come out and CH system will take water from dedicated tank instead of sharing the water that you wash out your mouth when you swear.

OP, if you can be bothered, get a F&E tank fitted to give you the isolation you need. This will mean the big copper doughnut can come out and CH system will take water from dedicated tank instead of sharing the water that you wash out your mouth when you swear.

more about money than being bothered DP. :(

this is what i dont understand though, are we bathing in the same water as whats been around the central heating system, or does this only happen if the 'air bubble' fails?

You will be bathing in 'heavy metals' if the boiler tries to vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back