Heating / Hot Water Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

Can i just check something and hope somebody can please explain this -

I have a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50 - its not a combi.

Whenever i put my hot water on at the same time as my heating is on the radiators are always much colder - is this normal ??
As soon as i turn the water off - the radiators seem to get much hotter.

Please can someone explain why ??

Sponsored Links
If you have a gate valve on the primary pipes to the hw cyl (the pipes on side of cyl that get hot when hw is on), try closing it a bit.

You need to increase the resistance of the hw cyl coil, as the circulation from boiler is taking the easy route. The rads having higher resistance to flow are losing out when the hot hw is on at same time as heating.

If you have a gate valve on the primary pipes to the hw cyl (the pipes on side of cyl that get hot when hw is on), try closing it a bit.

You need to increase the resistance of the hw cyl coil, as the circulation from boiler is taking the easy route. The rads having higher resistance to flow are losing out when the hot hw is on at same time as heating.

Ok mate - i will pass this info on as im really a DIY amateur.

Even when the water is off, the radiators only ever get very warm as apposoed to piping hot - could carrying out the above as you described also get the radiators to give out stronger heat ??

Sponsored Links

Ok mate - i will pass this info on as im really a DIY amateur.

Even when the water is off, the radiators only ever get very warm as apposoed to piping hot - could carrying out the above as you described also get the radiators to give out stronger heat ??

If the rads cool noticeably when the hw goes on, then yes, it should help.

Are all the rads the same temp, or are some hot and others cooler? If yes, you may need to balance your rads. Have a look at the FAQs.

Sounds like your system needs setting up properly. Could be several other possibilities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back