Corsa noise issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello wonder if anyone can shed some light.

I have an X reg Corsa 1.2 with about 70k on the clock. Had it from new, been really good and reliable and regularly serviced, last service last Sept.

Have noticed the past month or so that the car sounds noisier than normal, not a clicking or clunking, just higher than normal volume in certain circumstances.

When cold starting it sounds noiser than normal, revs at 1200rpm ish and then once warm idles around 800. When at the higher revs it is just louder. Other time the noise is noticed is once you get to about 50-55pmh and above. Again no clunking/clicking, just the car sounds noiser like it's revving too high, but don't think it is. At 60mph revs at about 2900rpm.

The car drives and feels the same but the noise is annoying. Cna't explain the noise, but just like someone turned the volume of the engine up if that makes sense.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A blowing exhaust, maybe?
Put the palm of your hand up against the tailpipe, and see if you can hear exhaust gas chuffing out further up the pipe.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman. I will check that out. Are the revs that I mentioned above about correct or too high for this vehicle/speed?

Cheers

Revs look ok to me, just sounds bad with the exhaust blown

Sponsored Links
Thanks that's good to know.

Will let you know how the investigation goes when I get a chance.

Cheers

I agree, the revs seem fine.
Often enough, after market exhaust systems are thinner than the original factory fit - this could be playing a part.
John :)

I've had a quick investigation and though I'm not really up on the mechanics of cars it does seem to sound uneven.

It's the original exhaust so I can complain. I've just moved and haven't found a reliable and good mechanic yet. I'm wondering if the Kwik Fit option might be the best as there's one in the local town and if so how much that might cost?

I might take it to the local garage too which did my service and seem good and decent and ask for a quote as well.

Cheers again

Back