COST OF A JOB ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just had a base for a coservatory built in my back garden, It is for a 10' by 10' conservatory. So far they have just built it up to the level of the garden and filled it with some hardcore and cemented the floor . The cost to me was £2800,
Now I am not a builder but it seems rather expensive just to dig a trench, lay some cement , then some bricks and breeze blocks, then fill the rest with cement.
Is this a fair price ? any comments appreciated.
Regards TV man.

Sponsored Links
Forgive the obvious question - did you agree the price before the work started?

And forgive me for being so rude but - if it's so easy why don't you grab a shovel and start digging?

Hi newboy, Thanks for your reply,I did not say it was easy,but I just want to know if this was a fair price,
I reckon it was about a weeks work .Regards TV man.

Hi newboy, Thanks for your reply,I did not say it was easy,but I just want to know if this was a fair price,
I reckon it was about a weeks work .Regards TV man.

A week :eek:

I'm in the process of getting a conservatory (4m x 3.8m) and it took 1 day to gig out the foundations and fill with concrete. 3/4 day to do the brick work upto floor level and 1/2 day to put all the hardcore, floor insulation and cement in for the floor.

You're not paying by the hour are you?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Steve, The builder I used has done a lot of work for me in the past, He gave me a price for several jobs to be done on the house. Now money is getting tight I asked for a breakdown on what he has done so far. The £2800 was for foundations and oversight. I am wondering if he has made a mistake on his calculations, but I wanted to get a rough idea of prices before hand. So I turned to the experts. Many thanks Regards TV man. :confused:

The £2800 was for foundations and oversight. I am wondering if he has made a mistake on his calculations
I suppose it could have been a simple oversite by him on his calculations. :LOL:

Just think of what you can buy for £2800, and how long it will take you to earn it. Then compare it with what you have had done for that amount then think to yourself "Is that a lot of money I have just given away for a big block of concrete" Make your own mind up, but if your willing to spend money like that , send me some ;)

connie installers do not live in the real world.

their prices for bases are far too lean. hence the fact that they can "dig out and concrete in a day". blah blah blah.

anyone can have cheap job if that is what they want.

i personally think the price sounds reasonable.

....but have they done it properly..... :?:

Some interesting replies. Does anyone know the hourly rate for this sort of job. I reckon he used about 400 bricks and 40 breezblocks, 2 bags of ballast 3 bags of sand plus cement.

Materials £400-£500 tops, labour £2300-£2400 work the hourly rate out yourself ;)

£2,350.00 divided by say 40 hrs:= £58.75 per hour. According to my calculator Roy.

Roughcaster.

We'll just have to keep looking, you never know mate, maybe one day.... :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

connie installers do not live in the real world.

their prices for bases are far too lean. hence the fact that they can "dig out and concrete in a day". blah blah blah.

i don't think it's unreal for someone to digout a trench in a day if there are 2 of them and then put concrete in the base? (as long as there are no complications) the concrete came ready mixed in one of the mixing trucks and they had that all barrowed round in 45mins then just needed to level it off

the builder we're using started at 07:30 :eek: and they finished at 17:00 which i was very suprised at as I was expecting an 09:00-15:00 day from them!!

i guess how long the job will take will depend on the people doing the job, how hard they work, skills and how long a day they do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back