Cost Of Handyman For Long Term Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to ask what you think is fair to pay someone who has been working for us for over a year.

Previously we agreed that we would pay £10 an hour and we had this agreement for more then a year

He has been working for us 7 days a week and often 12 hour days

Believe it or not he does work hard most of the time.

The problem is when I look at our budget this person has been taking home about £800 a week for the last year which I think is far too high

Am I being unreasonable asking him to work 7 days a week but for a fixed wage of 500 rather then per hour?

Sponsored Links
Yes, that would be £5.95p per hour, assuming he is over 21 then the minimum wage would be £6.19 per hour. This would be most unreasonable.

I assume you are happy with his work otherwise he wouldn't still be there? Why drive him out by reducing his money, you will only end up with a monkey if you pay peanuts!

Yes, that would be £5.95p per hour, assuming he is over 21 then the minimum wage would be £6.19 per hour. This would be most unreasonable.

I assume you are happy with his work otherwise he wouldn't still be there? Why drive him out by reducing his money, you will only end up with a monkey if you pay peanuts!

Because 800 quid a week is a tremendous amount. We paid it in the past because he was looking after four of five properties of ours. And thats cash in hand as well

Sponsored Links
£800 is a lot of money if you look at it out of context, if the work he is doing is good then you would struggle to replace him I suspect.

Reduce it to £500 and tell us what happens in 3 months.

Because 800 quid a week is a tremendous amount. We paid it in the past because he was looking after four of five properties of ours. And thats cash in hand as well

So you're not making statutory deductions and paying employer's NI? Do you have employee liability insurance?

HMRC are just gonna love you :eek:

So you're not making statutory deductions and paying employer's NI? Do you have employee liability insurance?

The OP does not have to unless he is a company employing the person

The Handyman is responsible for his own statutory payments

Am I being unreasonable asking him to work 7 days a week but for a fixed wage of 500 rather then per hour?

No, but you are being unreasonable for basing you decision purely on the fact that you think " £800 a week for the last year ...... is far too high"

if he is on 800 pounds he is doing 80 hrs or over 2 weeks work do you think £375 is unreasonable for a 37.5hr week ??

Auzzie clearly appreciates Victorian Values - London based - Gor blimey guv ,I come and werk for yer @ £50 a day , it`s bleedin better than the workause Gawd bless yer :mrgreen:

if he is on 800 pounds he is doing 80 hrs or over 2 weeks work do you think £375 is unreasonable for a 37.5hr week ??

Well I am starting to think it is easy to put the hours in and not do too much. The stuff we have got him doing is pretty good quality but its always easier to say the grass is greener on the other side

What would a handyman working in a company get AFTER Tax? Can they really expect to take home 375 a week after tax?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back