Cost Of Handyman For Long Term Project

So you're not making statutory deductions and paying employer's NI? Do you have employee liability insurance?

The OP does not have to unless he is a company employing the person

The Handyman is responsible for his own statutory payments

Simply not true.

If the handyman is classed as an employee, which working for the one 'client' he almost certainly is, then the employer must register as such with HMRC and make the appropriate deductions.

Being a company has nothing to do with it. A sole trader or even a private individual not in business can be an employer.

Sponsored Links
GPs work for the NHS - but they are not classed as employees, so that can't be right.

GPs work for the NHS - but they are not classed as employees, so that can't be right.

It's not!

My window cleaner only works for me, no-one else. I am his only source of income, and he only visits to clean the windows four times a year. I'm not an employer, he's self employed. Even though I pay him £5,000 per visit

*this story is for illustration purposes only

He's not earning £800 a week. He's making £800 for working two weeks worth of hours in one week.
If he did 38 hrs a week for "only" £380. Presumably you'd be happy.. :confused:

Sponsored Links

GPs are sole traders, not employees. They work under a contract for providing health services.

To a large extent they can set their own hours, they can delegate the work to assistants or locum doctors, employ their own staff, and enter into partnership with other doctors. They are also free to carry out non NHS work and many do, and they can sell the business as a going concern when they retire.

In some areas the NHS does employ salaried GPs (and dental practitioners) often because there is no self-employed GP willing to take on an NHS practice as a business.

When the employment status of an individual is in doubt or is a little ambiguous, then a few things flag up.

Some have already been pointed out. Another thing to look at is risk, i.e. does the person carrying out the work take any risk regards materials, come-backs/complaints, quote for work without gain or pay, suffer loss or lack of profit on a job, etc.

if he is on 800 pounds he is doing 80 hrs or over 2 weeks work do you think £375 is unreasonable for a 37.5hr week ??

Well I am starting to think it is easy to put the hours in and not do too much. The stuff we have got him doing is pretty good quality but its always easier to say the grass is greener on the other side

What would a handyman working in a company get AFTER Tax? Can they really expect to take home 375 a week after tax?

Ok, so how much a week do you earn with your 5 houses? Etc.

Is a handyman a lower class person than you so shouldn't earn anywhere as much?

Makes me sick.

if he is on 800 pounds he is doing 80 hrs or over 2 weeks work do you think £375 is unreasonable for a 37.5hr week ??

Well I am starting to think it is easy to put the hours in and not do too much. The stuff we have got him doing is pretty good quality but its always easier to say the grass is greener on the other side

What would a handyman working in a company get AFTER Tax? Can they really expect to take home 375 a week after tax?

that will be the one that gets 5 weeks paid holiday sick pay and a vehicle supplied and possibly pension contributions worth a further 25-35% more to his wages probably £275-£325 before deductions

Is this for real?

You agreed a rate with him, let him work his arse off for said rate (note there was no overtime rate mentioned), no doubt he has no contract so you can pull the plug whenever it suits you, and as previously mentioned he is working 80 hours a week which is 2 weeks worth of work every week.

Give the guy a break…..£10 per hour is a good deal for you if you have him working across multiple sites on multiple projects taking responsibility for quality etc.

The short answer to your question is YES you are being unreasonable to ask him to work seven days, especially for nearly 40% pay cut, would you accept it if your boss said….”Thanks for doing a great job, please keep it up, but by the way your pay cheque is gonna be cut in half!)…..doubt it very much!

Nobody works 7 days a week unless they're earning decent money. £500 aint that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back