cost of plumbing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys i know this is a bit of an open question but whats the going rate for a plumber in the midlands area who doesnt do gas?
and is there any tips for pricing up a job that includes materials for example do you just put a percentage ontop of your labour costs for your materials mainly the pipe and fittings etc

Sponsored Links
Tommy estimating Plumber work is an art. First you need to establish your on-costs & all-in Labour rates. Calculate overheads & know all your Labour constants.

After 35 years of estimating, the best advice I'll give you is; work out your overheads & double them, then you'll be nearer to the real figure.

There is no answer as it depends on the job.

SE people all have different ways of quoting for work, hourly, day and weekly rates.

I always quote a price for the job and I would advise all customers do that. I dont understand how anyone can refuse to do that if they are experienced. If you pay by the hour they will sit dringing tea to spin it out !

Within the last 13 years I had a quote from a plumber of £7.50 an hour to clear a drain but he insisted on charging two hours minimum because he had to come about 6 miles to get there.

Generally you will probably find prices between £10-£70 an hour. I dont see what help that is going to be to you.

Tony

cheers guys its mainly the materials im trying to get to grips with because im putting a price in for my labour and materials but the fixings im using are always way over what id estimated and obviously u want to give a customer a price there and then if u can so just thought there would be a simple calculation like for eg 20% on top of ur labour rate to make sure ur covered for ur bits and bobs if it was a fair size job because u cant work out every elbow and union and commpression fitting ud be there forever

Sponsored Links
I dont know about others but I have a quick quote method where I charge a price per metre for 15mm and 22 mm which includes the tube, fittings and installation as thats easy to measure fairly acccurately.

On heating I charge an amount per rad as in a typical property that averages well.

I never find the materials to be any problem. Its the labour for "difficult" installations that I sometimes find harder. Not something I often do but I replaced a soil stack and seriously underestimated the parts costs and the time as its such an easy job to actually do but still took most of a day.

Tony

whats ya guidline for pricing per metre for the pipework agile i know id have to knock a bit off cus ur in london

£6/m for 15 mm and £10/m for 22mm.

But thats intended for longer runs like over 3m where its reasonably easy to fit like external gas runs round building.

Its only as a guideline and not for extending a gas by 300 mm for a cooker!

Its used as part of a quote to build up a final price.

These matters are best discussed in the CC.

Tony

£6/m for 15 mm and £10/m for 22mm.

But thats intended for longer runs like over 3m where its reasonably easy to fit like external gas runs round building.

Its only as a guideline and not for extending a gas by 300 mm for a cooker!

Its used as part of a quote to build up a final price.

These matters are best discussed in the CC.

Tony

I thought this topic was domestic plumbing? Why the Combustion Chamber? I do recall the OP not wanting prices for gas. :eek: :rolleyes:

Why has gas pipework been priced. Its irrelevant to the OP's topic.

get yourself a screwfix book it has all common fitting ,pipe prices in,apart from copper,which i price @ £2 a meter for 15/£4 a meter for 22,then add 20% for sundries (flux solder clips&any thing you might have forgot)then add labour,then go to local merchants to try and get a better price(not plumb centre as unless you have an account they will spank you)

get yourself a screwfix book it has all common fitting ,pipe prices in,apart from copper,which i price @ £2 a meter for 15/£4 a meter for 22,then add 20% for sundries (flux solder clips&any thing you might have forgot)then add labour,then go to local merchants to try and get a better price(not plumb centre as unless you have an account they will spank you)

I almost got spanked yesterday.... £70 for a drayton timeclock :eek: :eek:

The CC is a closed part of this site which is mostly restricted to gas registered people so that we can freely give advice on gas matters.

Although we are totally transparent about our pricing its often better that trade topics like pricing are best discussed in a trade forum rather that a DIY site mostly frequesnted by our customers.

Tony

hi guys i know this is a bit of an open question but whats the going rate for a plumber in the midlands area who doesnt do gas?
and is there any tips for pricing up a job that includes materials for example do you just put a percentage ontop of your labour costs for your materials mainly the pipe and fittings etc

Hi, you can check out the list of the available plumbers here, under Plumbing in USA I guess they can give you some details on price over the phone, so you can compare which offer is the best for you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back