Council Tax - Get Ready For A Rant

Sponsored Links
Does anybody read their bank statements these days?
I have for years been using a home accounts package on my PC. It tracks scheduled payments such as household direct debits and annual car tax or insurance. I enter my own cheques, and it receives downloaded statements from the bank and credit card companies then reconciles their transactions to mine. It does double entry so when a payment goes from a bank to a card, it enters both. The schedule also reminds me when e.g. an annual event like a boiler or car service is due.

If a DD for council tax failed to occur, it would show as overdue.

I use Microsoft Money, but MS withdrew support for it a while ago, and you can only get the system updates from a few user sites that saved them. I have quite big dbs with lots of history on them so it would be inconvenient to change. For example assets, pension and investment transactions and prices so I can do annual reports of performance and taxable events. I used to do my business and project accounts on it, and have done Executor's accounts (you can have multiple dbs and it does not verify your licence number, so if you lost your original and bought a disk off ebay, it would work)

If I was starting from scratch, I would look for something more current. I believe packages mostly just do banking.

After two or three years usage you would probably have accumulated all the history you need.

I get the impression many customers use something comparable. If you look at your statements online you will probably see an option to download transactions as QIF, OFC or OFX files, or XLS which is very primitive.

Sponsored Links
For example:

illustration removed

This example is a report for a single account, where the household bills are paid from.

Once transactions have been paid (or received) they disappear from "forthcoming." But if not paid, and past due date, they show in red as "overdue"

There is a simpler view which shows all scheduled transactions for all accounts, which I keep sorted in date order, and it is my home page, so whenever I open the package it shows me what's expected, and anything past due date.

I presume other packages can do the same.

Last edited:
I have for years been using a home accounts package on my PC. It tracks scheduled payments such as household direct debits and annual car tax or insurance. I enter my own cheques, and it receives downloaded statements from the bank and credit card companies then reconciles their transactions to mine. It does double entry so when a payment goes from a bank to a card, it enters both. The schedule also reminds me when e.g. an annual event like a boiler or car service is due.

Or..................Just get a life. :LOL:

I use Microsoft Money, .
Weird that. I use MS Money 14.0 also.
I believe you can export files to Quicken. But I've been Using MS Money for so many years, I can't remember, I like it.
Prior to using MS Money I used Excel with my own made-up macros.

BTW, SS, if you're looking for MS Money, be careful you don't get the US version. It won't work on old files.

Last edited:
I know people that haven't paid CT for years and get away with it.

I wouldn't pay either but I live with a vulnerable person and it's not fair on them having fake balliffs turn up every other week.

In short, take the Bernard Manning approach to life : '' if everybody thought that way, ...don't worry about a thing, don't worry. If you owe a few thousand pound, **** em, let em wait. Nowt they can do about it the jails are full, but never refuse to pay - never refuse to pay. Write them a letter (''when I've got it, you'll get it. *******s'') ... and you'll find you've gone through life not taking drugs, not taking tablets, not blowing your brains out.. Don't worry''

:D:D:D classic

Sponsored Links
Back