Criminal damage front door.

S

sodthisforfun

Tonight just asked some scroat to stop ****ing against our front door/window. 2 mid 20's blokes out the pub started urinating against our property, before getting into their car.
Their response? Try and punch me through the window, saying they'd smash my face in.

I then started recording on my phone (except I blooming well didn't, I thought I'd pressed record but hadn't in the heat of the moment). They got in their car, turned around the street then one bloke jumped out and smashed our front door in. We're sitting here gone 1am, trying to fix it enough to last a night, not easy with chunks of wood in bits.

So... apart from all that, what's the best kind of door to replace it with? I thought solid wood, quality thick, but the copper (who took an hr to show up), thought plastic.

Any thoughts/advice? Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Hardwood.

Length of copper pipe with holes drilled in it across where it most xommonlc happens, connect it to the mains water with a quarter turn valve in a easy to reach location.

Anytime Someone is under it turn the water on.

Composite doors are good and keep the house nice and warm, they also have pretty good locks.
The pub will probably have cctv so maybe ask them if they will let you take a look at it. Perhaps it will show the reg of the car leaving? If they refuse suggest you will be contacting the local licensing authority to ask for restrictions to be placed on their license when its up for renewal.

Sponsored Links
Plastic doors seem strong, but don't always look very nice. Whenever you see a real life tv cop show, the plastic doors sometimes take a long time to get through. Even for a burly copper wielding the 'big red key'.

And yet many Eurocylinders will be opened in seconds with less oafish methods.

A hammer is not a good way to break something that is flexible, elastic and resilient. A breadknife would be quicker.

Plastic doors seem strong, but don't always look very nice. Whenever you see a real life tv cop show, the plastic doors sometimes take a long time to get through. Even for a burly copper wielding the 'big red key'.

If I were them and given most 5 point locks are pretty solid, I'd carry a battery recip with me instead. If they're going to scrap a door I wouldn't stand there knocking first :mrgreen:

Police have started using chainsaws now on plastic doors, just cut a 1/3rd in from the lock side and straight in!.

If I were them and given most 5 point locks are pretty solid,
Knowing nothing about doors and locks than from say, 30 years ago, are those the ones that can be easily opened through the letterbox with the right tool - or coat hanger? My neighbour got locked out and the locksmith opened it in 10 seconds through the letterbox.

Cheers guys, for advice. I love the look of a wooden door, plus like changing the colour now and then but I just wanted to go for better kick-proof protection. I wouldn't mind a composite door, if that is a reasonable one because I should imagine it's warmer and better at blocking out the sounds than a plastic one?

Knowing nothing about doors and locks than from say, 30 years ago, are those the ones that can be easily opened through the letterbox with the right tool - or coat hanger? My neighbour got locked out and the locksmith opened it in 10 seconds through the letterbox.

No, a 5 point of contact dead lock. Not a latch. A good locksmith will be able to open most locks but if these are locked properly and not just on the latch you won't open it through the letterbox.

Identify Your Multipoint Lock-2.jpg

The pub will probably have cctv so maybe ask them if they will let you take a look at it. Perhaps it will show the reg of the car leaving? If they refuse suggest you will be contacting the local licensing authority to ask for restrictions to be placed on their license when its up for renewal.
They got the license in April. Problem is mum took on the license, then left the running of the pub to her 26 year old son. I am pretty certain that the 2 lads are friends of his. We've had a lot of violence since they opened up, outside and even in the pub at 3am where the son's friends were trashing the place with the son sitting there with his head in his hands. We found out a couple of months down the line that son is an ex-con for drug dealing and could never have got his own license so the plan all along was for mum to walk away from it.

However, the licensing team are aware of the problems and the chap I've been in touch throughout the summer is going to check the CCTV from the pub as we all know cops don't bother with anything anymore. CCTV was a licensing requirement put in place by the police so they should have it. Such a headache and my partner isn't doing very well, very nervous and keeps expecting them to come back. :(

No, a 5 point of contact dead lock. Not a latch. A good locksmith will be able to open most locks but if these are locked properly and not just on the latch you won't open it through the letterbox.

View attachment 151217
Cool, thanks. Neighbour must've not locked it properly then because that looks pretty much like the lock she has. They also are a pain to line up and fit? Because she had trouble too with the key not turning and jamming where the door moved. Composite door, wooden door frame.

Such a headache and my partner isn't doing very well, very nervous and keeps expecting them to come back.

I have similar anxieties about the local thieves after having my van done a few times. Happened years ago but still affects my sleep unfortunately. You've just got to do your best to forget about it. Best thing to do is not confront or engage with them should they return and get straight on to the blower to the old bill. Make up a bit of a story suggesting they're doing a bit more than they are and they might come out a bit quicker.

Cool, thanks. Neighbour must've not locked it properly then because that looks pretty much like the lock she has. They also are a pain to line up and fit? Because she had trouble too with the key not turning and jamming where the door moved. Composite door, wooden door frame.

Can't say it's something I've ever done.

Any door with an inside handle or knob that can be turned to open the door, with no key, can be opened through the letterbox or a broken glass. There are various simple, home made tools to do it. The old yale-type nightlatches were particularly easy, but had other vulnerabilities as well. More modern BS3621 locks can be deadlocked, though this is not often done when the house is occupied.

If you can, it's a good idea to have the letterbox in the wall near the door, on the hinge side, and with a cage to make this less easy than it will be with a handy access hatch in the door itself.

Sponsored Links
Back