cu question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
i have had a electrical safety check done 8 months ago, i was thinking of renting the house the guy told me it would need a rcd type cu it currently has a fused cu it has 4 circuits would it be a case of just changing the cu or would the circiuts need to be split. i will get someone to do this if required its just a curiosity question
many thanks chris

Sponsored Links
the existing installation may be safe and in good condition (not necesarrily up to current regs however). Only a PIR will tell you the condition of the installation.

rcd protection of certain circuits is now required by the regs, i.e sockets, ideally shower. Sounds like your CU could do with updating though from the limited description you have given. any faults on the circuits,ie damaged sockets, poor joints ect will have to be rectified before /during the CU change.

what check did you have?
was it a periodic?

if so then the defects listed on it will need rectifying.
if your spark changes the CU,change it for a split load type with rcd protection.

an EIC is required on completion so any defects found on circuits will need rectifying before this can be issued so expect a high bill sorry mate!

everything was safe but he recommeded a mcb type cu, and then said you have to have it if your renting the house out. he did not find any faults. i am just wondering if it is reg to have that. obviously its safer to have rcd protection but is it law. i have done then 16th but it was 18 months ago and we did it in three days so i dont know the in and outs

Sponsored Links
sorry he did all the readings and they must have been fine cos on the cert it says it should be retested in 10 years. i really wanted a lardloads cert but there was a bit of confustion and he did a safety check

from memeroy i think that there is a 6a fuse for the lights two 32a rings and a 20a for there cooker there is no electric shower i am just wondering if they would have to split these circiuts into more ie two light circiuts like you have with more modern cu`s

Fuses are still permitted by the wirng regulations BS 7671 although mcb's in a domestic setup are probably preferable. dont see how you have to have them to be able to rent out your property.

the 16th requires rcd protection on socket outlets likelly to supply hand held outside equipment and preferably showers, (the 17th edition which comes into force in the summer goes even more rcd crazy than this) however earlier editions of the regs wouldnt have called for rcd protection so i wouldnt say your installation is massivelly unsatisfactory on this basis alone.

bs7671 is a non statutory document so it cant be 'the law' to install rcd's.

Not quite yet.

And even when it is there will be no compulsion to bring old installations up to date.

thanks for that so would a need a cert which says landlord on it cos i do have the other. the reason why i ask is the gas says landlord safety check on it. do electrics need checking every 12 months like gas does

bs7671 is a non statutory document so it cant be 'the law' to install rcd's.[/quote]

thanks for that its what he told me we never went fully into the regs cos it was three days my job is a lift tech and we needed the regs for testing new installs but only the lights and the wire between the isolator and the lift cos as you al know the rest dose not apply.

Rewirables are prone to people putting in the wrong size of fusewire, nails etc.

In a rental property in particular they are undesirable.

I bet you have got an old brown fusebox which is past its use-by date.

A new one with RCDs will reduce the risk of shocks, but if your installation is as old as i'm picturing it would benefit from being generally updated.

If you get a new CU it is worth getting a considerably bigger one to give room for future work, e.g. immersion heater, electric shower, smoke alarms, dedicated circuit for boiler, split the lighting circuits if this is reasonably straightforward.

You might also consider having RCBOs rather than a split load, this will make it less inconvenient if there is a fault since you will not lose all circuits. Your tenants will be very resentful if they lose the central heating as well as the chance to use electric fan heaters and they will expect a fast fix possibly involving an emergency call-out.

domestic installations are adviced to be PIR'd (periodic inspection report) every 10 years (i think, cant remember off top of my head). id check with your insurers or legally what you are required as a landlord to provide in terms of proving the electrics safe. i would think a PIR would suffice providing any defects are remedied.

some sparks offer a safety check which is a watered down less indepth version of a PIR which most of the time is just a visual inspection, no testing.

There is no legislation for electrical checks like there is for gas, but many agencies and equivalent bodies (e.g. colleges and universities) will insist on a certificate before they'll allow you to let through them/before they'll put people in there.

The guidance on PIRs is every 5-10 years or on change of occupancy, and AFAIK there is no such thing as a "Landlords Certificate" for electrical checks, although it's easy enough to knock one up in Word based on the IEE PIR forms....

thanks JohnD
i was just a bit comcermned about the cost of fitting a new cu. the old one is as you described (without the nails i used screws just kidding) as the man that came round siad you need this and i could see that turning into the other just did not want to be stung my fiance was there at they time so not sure if he was trying it on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back