Cutting concrete base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've been reading this forum for a while now and have now finally signed up. :D

I hope some of you can answer my question.

I am soon to demolish my concrete sectional garage with asbestos cement sheet roofing. When it is down I want to keep 1/2 of the concrete base. The front half is all cracked but the back half is in decent condition and I am planning to cut it in half and use the base to put a new shed on.

I am a reasonable DIY’er and want to do the whole project myself to save money.

I have seen masonry saws for hire but I have never used one before.

I would like to cut a straight, neat line in the base. Is this possible or am I best just ripping the whole thing up?

It would be nice to keep half the base to save time and money.

The front half after the cut I will take up and put down lawn.

The base is 4 inch's thick and as far as I aware not enforced.

How and where do I even start?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Check out concrete cutting saws at the local hire place......you can get them with a trolley so there's no stooping, and all have a water hose connection to keep the dust down.
Tell them what you are doing and they'll fix you up with a diamond cutting blade....you'll be amazed how efficient these can be.
Mark out where you want to cut using a permanent marker or chalk, and have a little practice with the machine on part of the concrete thats going to be broken.
If you find it difficult to cut straight, fix down a length of timber say 2" x 3/4" as a cutting guide.
Use ear defenders and goggles, which usually come with the machine.
John :)

head off to your local hire shop and ask for a stihl saw 12" diamond blade ask for a trolly most have a cutting guide or see if they have a Floor saw
as for marking the line use a stright edge and line making spray this will give you a 100% line and not rick washing away like chalk or marker.
if you only get a stihl saw no worrys as said before get a stright adge and run the saw over the line to mark out the cut then start from one end to the other DONT try and cut the line backwards the say will want to go farward lat it but take your time.
if it seems like a soft cut the blade sinks in the ground just let the saw cut its self into the concrete then take it forward slow in one go.
Use the water cupply thay mite give you a pump bottle leave it in the boot and run it off your mains with hose. remember boots gloves glasses ear defenders and even a light duty dust mask. you will see why
here are some vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeAhDwNY8ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21v4a1D7zKw
and this is why you use water un safe with out it over heat the blade and cant see where your cutting or what your cutting
iv done abit of cutting before lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUw73ATgkWw

2 great responses. Thank you very much.

I'm feeling more confident about taking this task on. If I balls it up the base will have to come up and I will have to lay a new one. Simple.

I sent an e-mail to Wickes tool hire today explaining the job and they think an electric abrasive saw with diamond blade would suffice.

Would you recommend this or am I best going for a 2 stroke petrol cutter?

Sponsored Links
Two stroke petrol cutter on its own trolley with a diamond blade, mate - no competition!
You wont balls it up - just take heed of the hirers instructions.

you can use a 9" but you cant use abrasive discs youll use about 20 cost more for the discs then hiring a a stihl saw and you cant use water you use a diomand blade on it but id use a 2 stroke saw any day dont use wikes hire its traivis perkins hire crap find a small local hire shop or look for a hire station or hss hire or bradon tools hire speedy hire but dont use wickes bunch of numptys.
id look for a small run firm thay keep prices down to keep the hires going out youll only need to hire it for the day or some will let you have half day hire but ask

Last question regarding the removal of the front half of the base.

Could I use this cutter I am about to hire to cut the base into manageable square pieces to lift them out or am I best getting a breaker?

If I do use the cutter to make several cuts to lift up the base, how many cuts on average will I get out of one blade before it wears out?

I will be making one neat 3 meter cut that matters then several other 3 meter cuts to break up the base. (if possible)

Cheers.

The hire company will supply you with as many discs / blades as you need on a sale or return basis.
Once you are happy with the machine, do the important cut first, and then slice the remainder as you need.....a good thump with a sledge hammer often fractures the slab quite easily.
I wouldn't be hiring a breaker at this stage!

Last question regarding the removal of the front half of the base.

Could I use this cutter I am about to hire to cut the base into manageable square pieces to lift them out or am I best getting a breaker?

If I do use the cutter to make several cuts to lift up the base, how many cuts on average will I get out of one blade before it wears out?

I will be making one neat 3 meter cut that matters then several other 3 meter cuts to break up the base. (if possible)

Cheers.

Sure you could practice cutting a neat line on the side you are getting rid of. The blades last quite a while.

The easiest way to do it is to nail a piece of straight timber to the concrete as a guide for where you want your line. Then run the saw along this and cut in about an inch to mark it. Then remove the timber and cut to the full depth of the saw which will be about 4'' or a fraction under.

This technique is easier to do with as hand held saw than it is with a wheeled floorsaw.

A 4 inch slab will easily break up with a heavy sledge as long as it is not restrained on all sides. Work from a free edge nibbling off about a foot each time and then levering with a pick.

Hello,

I've been reading this forum for a while now and have now finally signed up. :D

I hope some of you can answer my question.

I am soon to demolish my concrete sectional garage with asbestos cement sheet roofing. When it is down I want to keep 1/2 of the concrete base. The front half is all cracked but the back half is in decent condition and I am planning to cut it in half and use the base to put a new shed on.

I am a reasonable DIY’er and want to do the whole project myself to save money.

I have seen masonry saws for hire but I have never used one before.

I would like to cut a straight, neat line in the base. Is this possible or am I best just ripping the whole thing up?

It would be nice to keep half the base to save time and money.

The front half after the cut I will take up and put down lawn.

The base is 4 inch's thick and as far as I aware not enforced.

How and where do I even start?

Thank you.

If you dont mind me asking, what are you gonig to do with asbestos roof?

The Asbestos roof is another long story,

I have wanted this garage gone for 6 years now but getting rid of the asbestos roof always proved to be a job stopper.

Every summer I would have another look at this project to only be quoted 4 figure sums just to get rid of the roof. Never had that kind of money spare as other work more eccential around the house needed doing.

My local council were no help and do not have an Asbestos facility at the local tip so it can only be done privatley.

This summer I started looking for quotes again and got them in the hundreds rather than thousands. :D

Not sure what has changed. Maybe more completion?

Anyway, after spending several days on reading up on the legality of this project, I am now going to take the roof down myself wearing all the correct PPE. The roof is in roughly 1m2 sheets so no breaking up of the roof is required. Then stack the sheets in the garage, then the Asbestos company comes and collects and disposes.

I'm a few hundred pound down right at the start but better than thousands. :confused:

Starting the project at the end of this month. Really looking forward to it. A lot of hard work but the end result should be well worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back