Cutting tiles on webbed backing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,just bought some packs of these to finish off new kitchen and trying to do some forward planning looking at where they will lie on the wall.

But what it is the best way of cutting them to go around sockets/light switches etc?

Is it going to be just a case of some patient tile nibbling?

*edit*

Forgot to mention that the tiles are just under 2"x2" sitting 6x6 on aforementioned web backing to make an overall size of 12"x12"

Sponsored Links
Angle grinder with a diamond blade will do it with ease. If you're cutting out a square (for a socket), make the first cuts from the front of the tile and get as far as you can, then turn over and complete the cut from the back. Should take seconds and give a decent finish.

This is because of curve of the cutting disc right?

Thanks for the reply gcol,will look into it.

You got it - you can't get a full cut from the front. So you do as much as you can then flip it and finish up on the back when you can see where the cut is going. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
This would also be the same affect on using those electric tile cutters I guess.

Am used to using angle grinders on metal and bring the wheel up to make a level cut if you follow(without turning over).

I suppose a lighter hand is needed on tiles :LOL: although this is possible.

However the better half has gone more to the idea of getting someone in whilst I complete the jobs as long as my arm so as not to worry about it.

I appreciate the feedback though.How easy is it to cut if these tiles are on a backing?I can foresee them wobbling about a bit.

With a tile table saw you have to hold the tiles over the blade when the cut is in the middle of a tile - not safe in my opinion.

It won't wobble about if you cut them on a flat board (I use an mdf board) - as soon as the individual tiles pull against the webbing, when the slack is taken up it'll be stable enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back