Cycling in this weather

• Thread starter cantaloup63
  • Start date
You're hardly a great advert for the mental benefits of cycling ;) :LOL: :LOL:

well i personally don't think this is a gentle ribbing.. !!!!! please tell me what you're getting at.. !
Would have thought that the "wink" smiley was a pretty clear indication of intention.

no, don't explain the smileys.... 2 of which were you laughing !!! :eek: but your words about me not being "a great advert for the mental benefits".... what are you getting at?

Sponsored Links
Bearing in mind as a teenager i raced bikes, i am scared $hi7less to take a bike on the road now due to the standard of the driving capabilities of a lot of drivers and also pedestrian refuge islands in the middle of the road, that white van man fails to see till the very last moment, swerves, to avoid damaging his Transit and rights off another cyclist. :( :(

Bearing in mind as a teenager i raced bikes, i am scared $hi7less to take a bike on the road now due to the standard of the driving capabilities of a lot of drivers and also pedestrian refuge islands in the middle of the road, that white van man fails to see till the very last moment, swerves, to avoid damaging his Transit and rights off another cyclist. :( :(

If its so bloody dangerous then why do people still insist on riding bikes on the road!!!

Sponsored Links
Tend to agree. But what really bugs me is the number of road cyclists who don't realise how relatively invisible they are and fail to wear high viz gear, and don't have lights. Personally I'd happily have a law that would enable the police to pull over any cyclist with inappropriate gear and take the bike off them until they turn up at the police station with it.

each to their own I guess but every now and then when am reduced to 20 MPH in a 40MPH only to realise its a bike!!! and mainly woman and rainbow folk dont know how to overtake and slow down to bike speed!! give anyone a driving license these days!!

If its so bloody dangerous then why do people still insist on riding bikes on the road!!!
There are an increasing number of cycle tracks, which is good. Pavements are for pedestrians. So where should cyclists cycle. Cycling may not be your thing, but as a driver I pay my road tax and have an entititlement to use the road.

each to their own I guess but every now and then when am reduced to 20 MPH in a 40MPH only to realise its a bike!!! and mainly woman and rainbow folk dont know how to overtake and slow down to bike speed!! give anyone a driving license these days!!
Given the increasing number of cyclists on the roads, there is an argument for including at least some kind of training as part of driving lessons. Personally, I'd like every able bodied driver to take to the road on a bike for 1 hour a month so that they would be fully aware of a cyclist's perception and experiences. Not to punish drivers, nor make a petty point. Just to raise regular awareness.

There are an increasing number of cycle tracks, which is good. Pavements are for pedestrians. So where should cyclists cycle. Cycling may not be your thing, but as a driver I pay my road tax and have an entititlement to use the road.

same as I have an entitlement to call any motorist a pathetic waste of space when they don't know how to overtake you bike riders, was more of a dig at them to be honest :LOL:

same as I have an entitlement to call any motorist a pathetic waste of space when they don't know how to overtake you bike riders, was more of a dig at them to be honest :LOL:
All that any cyclist wants is a bit of space like anyone else, and a recognition that "we" haven't got the luxury of a reinforced bit of metal protecting "us" from impact. You wouldn't drive past a car allowing 1 inch of space, so wtf would you drive past a cyclist's handlebar allowing such a space????

Personally, I'd like to see cyclists taxed on their road usage. Pay something into the system instead of coming on here moaning about other road users. Cyclists here , think nothing of using pedestrianised zones as a thoroughfare on they're way to and from work. They should read the bloody highway code before being allowed out on the open road.
(I also think there's a case for learner drivers being taught on abandoned airfields so they can get up to normal traffic speed , before being let loose on city roads) (But that's for another thread)
Anyways. Cyclists,,,, Bane of us motirists. ;) ;) ;)

Personally, I'd like to see cyclists taxed on their road usage. Pay something into the system instead of coming on here moaning about other road users. Cyclists here , think nothing of using pedestrianised zones as a thoroughfare on they're way to and from work. They should read the bloody highway code before being allowed out on the open road.
I do pay for road usage. Sometimes I choose to use my bike instead of my car! :confused: As for pedestrianised zones, bikes aren't any wider than a human being, so what's the difference between a cyclist and, say, a jogger who wants to pass by quickly?

Also, a fatty will create more structural damage walking on a pavement than a cyclist - should they pay more too? :confused:

All that any cyclist wants is a bit of space like anyone else, and a recognition that "we" haven't got the luxury of a reinforced bit of metal protecting "us" from impact. You wouldn't drive past a car allowing 1 inch of space, so wtf would you drive past a cyclist's handlebar allowing such a space????

So you reckon these cyclists, that wobble about all over the place should be given extra room?? The highway code states that cyclists should be given as much room as a small car (which almost all motorists do). Perhaps a bit of training for cyclists would be in order.
I've lost count of the amount of cyclists who ride up the nearside of my car, whilst waiting at traffic lights, whilst I have a left hand signal on (then want to go straight on) Or the cyclist who pulls up on the right hand side of my car at traffic lights, when I have a right hand signal on.
About time the government introduced compulsory road training for anyone considering riding a bicycle on the roads these days. (and charge them for the training)

About time the government introduced compulsory road training for anyone considering riding a bicycle on the roads these days. (and charge them for the training)
Fair enough. And given the increased number of cyclists on the roads and the governments desire to increase (for example) "cycle to work" schemes, then presumably motorists require additional training and have to pay for this training too. After all, it's motorists' wishes to continue to use roads for cars and vans instead of more fuel efficient bikes ;)

I seem to remember when going to secondary school, one of the last leading Grammar ones. Before some clever basket decided they all went comprehensive!
We had to take a proficiency test before we were allowed to cycle to school.

This was taken over 4 sports lessons ( Would rather have been playing football , but a bike ride to school saved my parents money).
We were well trained and told if seen not obeying traffic rules and riding on the pavement the privilege would be removed. ( A green blazer was a give-away)

This simple test gave me an understanding of road rules and courtesy`s needed. In fact aided in my motorcycle and car riding/driving tests.

But to the point, cyclists are not above the law and the pavement is not a cycle path.
The sooner they are prosecuted for this the better.

Sponsored Links
Back