DAB Clock Radio

Cheers, guys. I have bought the Siesta Rise now, but I did look at the Chronos and discounted it because I don't want a CD player.

Sponsored Links
This might be a bit late, but there is a cheaper Pure Chronos that takes an apple iplayer instead, but if you're after a dimmable display, the the Chronos works nicely; it dims about a minute after you do anything to it.

Having said that, there are niggles with it that I'm hoping to sort out with a software upgrade when I can find the right usb lead. The alarm doesn't always work, and the old model had a separate Saturday and Sunday alarm, and you can't find the power switch in the dark very easily. Apart from that, I'm very happy with it.

Cheers, guys. I have bought the Siesta Rise now

What do you think of it?

I have tried a few DAB portables, but have been consistently disappointed by the sound quality (especially clarity of speech) compared to a good FM portable. I believe this is because the licences have clipped bandwidth to cram more stations in.

What do you think of it?

I have tried a few DAB portables, but have been consistently disappointed by the sound quality (especially clarity of speech) compared to a good FM portable. I believe this is because the licences have clipped bandwidth to cram more stations in.
There's always a fix on the way for these things:
http://dtg.org.uk/news/news.html?id=5581

New DABs should have DAB+, so you should be able to receive the new DAB+ stations. But there aren't many yet. Obviously, we need to wait for the all important 6Music to become DAB+.
If we went from MP2, 64kbps to something more respectable, you might also see an improvement, but as you say, the more stations that were added, the lower the bit rate fell.

http://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/why-dab-radio-in-the-uk-is-broken-and-how-to-fix-it-1217586

Sponsored Links
My old portable is a Sangean PR-D1, quite old, and I am disappointed with any small radio that can't match it. I actually have several Sangean multibands, off ebay, because until they were rebadged Roberts in the UK, nobody here had heard of them. It's annoying that I can't find a more modern radio to match with DAB.

Last edited:
What do you think of it?

Very, very impressed.

Which? picked a blinder. I find the sound excellent, but I am quite moderately-severely deaf so I'm not audio expert.

I find it easy to set, even in the dark and there are multiple alarms you can set for weekdays, weekends or every day.

The best thing for me is you can set the alarm volume, whereas my previous model, the Roberts Chronodab, you couldn't. And the alarm volume, for me was pathetic.

Back