Damp floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After removing my lino floor in the kitchen I found part of the floor solid not floor boards like the rest of the house. Where the solid floor meets floor boards it was wet all along the boards (in the picture it only looks like like one part but that's because it dried out once the lino was lifted).

Any suggestions as what should be done. I was going to remove some of the concrete and put a membrane in ???

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200324_165349.jpg
    20200324_165349.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 116
Sponsored Links
From the image posted, the overall dimensions of the concrete appear [relatively] small?

The concrete may have been an old fireplace?? or an old wood rot outbreak??

if it were me I would remove the concrete, and any hardcore / soil below the concrete topping then install joists and a timber floor, with a vented area below the new joists and boards. What state are the external air bricks in, and are there any near this area of concrete??

It is heartening that the floor boards dried out so fast, notwithstanding if there was no leak or water spill to occasion the wet boards if recovered the boards will probably get damp / wet again??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back