Damp plaster problem - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

My 1900 house, which I recently bought, has solid walls and a bay window at the front. In the corner by the alcove I peeled back the lining paper to find black mould in the corner which I cleaned off immediately.

I'm aware of the source of the problem and the extent of the mould. It is caused by next door's gutter splashing water onto my wall and causing penetrating damp.

Assuming that I am in the process of dealing with my neighbour to repair his gutters, is there anything that I can do to get the interior wall sorted in the mean time as it looks a mess and I desperately want to get the room decorated.

Should I:

(a) Remove the plaster in the affected area (plus a margin) down to brick, then apply a render coat and have it replastered? Can this occur independently to or before the work on the outside walls takes place?

(b) Do nothing until the exterior is sorted and then let the existing plaster dry out?

(c) Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

Pic:

DSC00174.jpg

Sponsored Links
b )plus hire a de-humidifier for a while when leak sorted ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back