damp proof course??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a garage conversion done and where they have bricked up the garage door the building inspector has said the damp proof course is not high enough!!! what can be done and what will it involve.Thankyou for your help.
Sarah.

Sponsored Links
I have looked at the DPC and to me its looks like it is only about 2.5" high.

Sounds like the dpc is only on 1 brick high which should've been a minimum 2 brick high (minimum 150mm high) because of the splash effect from the rain hitting the ground level.
wall10.gif

Have a word with your building inspector and see what they suggest, the builder may have to put it right depending what the building inspector going to say.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou Masona for your feedback and diagram, i will be taking your advice and having a word with the building inspector and will certainly be talking to my builders on this. :oops:

Unfortunately I have a similar issue but not an easy option of talking to the builder, it was done years before I bought the house :(

Basically I have concrete running round the outside of the property (Semi) and there only appears to be a 1 brick height from the top of the concrete to the DPC (this is the best measurement as it other places it litterally a cm).

I am thinking about taking up all the concrete and laying patio slabs around the house, obviously after dropping the height by a couple of bricks worth.

Would this work? I know I have to repoint the house anyhow and so am looking at spending a lot of money unfortuntely. I should be able to do some myself to save myself some money.

Next time, start a new thread ;)

Anyway, was the concrete laid after the house was built? A mate had a similar problem, he used a stihl saw (concrete diamond cutting saw) to cut a channel all the way round, leading into a drain. You could do similar and fill with gravel, the gravel will reduce rain splash up the wall.

As for Sarahs problem, I believe you can render/paint on a sort of dpc. Plenty of old houses have a black 'strip' around the bottom few inches of brickwork, which might be some kind of compromise.

Deluks said:
As for Sarahs problem, I believe you can render/paint on a sort of dpc. Plenty of old houses have a black 'strip' around the bottom few inches of brickwork, which might be some kind of compromise.

this won't wash with b.c. unfortunately.

short of lowering the external ground level, looks like a re-build to me. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back