Danfoss Electric ATC Cylinder Thermosat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot water from electrically heated hot water system is unbearably hot, the probe type thermostas fitted do not seem to work, and because of the way the tank has been fitted it is immpossible to remove/extract the switch and probe, without major structual work.
Strap on thermostats seemed to be the answer
Danfoss ATC Immersion heater cylinder thermostat.
I purchased this thermostat from Screwfix and the fitting instructions appear vague and incomplete.

It tells yu to connect to terminals 1&3 Make Temp rise ?????
1&2 Break on Temp rise ?????

What does the above mean

No instructions on how to connect to the Immersion Heater.
eg what wires go were.

I have wired the themostast with 3 core flex Green/yellow to Earth
Brown to Terminal 3 and blue to terminal 2 (break on Temp rise)

How do I coonect the Danfoss thermostat to the heating element in the water tank.

Can anybody help please.

Sponsored Links
is it
61083_l.jpg
this one?

you said "I have wired the themostast with 3 core flex Green/yellow to Earth
Brown to Terminal 3 and blue to terminal 2 (break on Temp rise)
"

no where does it say you should do that so why did you?

you said It tells yu to connect to terminals 1&3 Make Temp rise ?????
1&2 Break on Temp rise ?????

what current (amps) does it say it can switch? (you have the stat I do not that is why i ask)

i also take it that you actually have an imersion heater? it is important to answer to find out can one cope with the other

Yes the picture you posted is the one.

You ask why I am using a 3 core flex to connect the themostat to the immersion heater. Is there an alternative to using flex to make the connection?

Yes the tank is fitted with 2 immersion heaters. I have a themostat for each immersion.

the danfoss switch rating is 15(2-5)A.

I apprecate it does not tell me to wire it up as I have, that why i am seeking some advice help.

i never asked why you were using 3 core flex, i asked why you are using terminals 3 & 2 when it says 1 & 3 or 1 & 2

do you also realise you can not use ordainairy flex, you have to use 1.5mm butyl flex and you also need one stat for each heater.

are you sure you cant get the proper thermostats out? you only have to undo the black cover and there they are

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong but I dont think they will be man enough to switch your immersion heaters, if they are rated at 2-5 amps.

I recently installed a solid fuel central heating system at my sisters and have one of these on the hot cylinder which allows the cylinder to come up to temp then the thermostat starts the CH pump, I had to use a 10amp relay as the initial surge of power for pump start up was to much for the stat.

i would agree with you but i was taking it that 15(2-5)A.
the 15 was the current rating.

but as i also mentioned i still think the best and esiest way is to change the origonal immersion heater stats

Sorry, just looked at the BES catalogue the stat I used was 6 (2) amp, lesser rated than your one.

I wonder if the 6 is peak and the 2 contiuous rating? Anyone know?

Hope you don't have to replace an immersion in the near future, big problems if access is so limited.

Installation instuctions can be found here

Ok the connection to terminal 3 & 2 is a typo error.
At the moment they are connected to 1 & 3 (make on temp)
It looks as if the 2 danfoss thermostats. have been a waste of money, as the wiring instructions are not clear enough to me anyway.

If I put the question another way.

I have a danfoss thermostate, to what terminals in the thermostat do I connect to, using 3 core cable (brown blue and green) and then when i have done that waht wires (Brown blue and green) and to which terminals do I connct on the immersion heater.

Do I just connect directly to the live, neutral and earth terminals on the immersion heater.

Yes i have two themostats one for each immersion.

Thanks so far for all the advice given

you want 1 &2 break on temp, but my previous advice still stands, you cant use ordainairy flex, the stats you have may burn out (may not be able to handle current) and it is still easier to chnge origonal stat which is under cover that cable goes into

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back