dark patches on edges of walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanted to go over these areas in the Kitchen and living room again. Used new 1.5" Harris brush. Shook emulsion and stirred it in clean kettle. The areas I went over are now a dirty white on the kitchen and a dirty magnolia in the living room.I did wash the brush and the kettle throughly with cold clean water between each room. I did the kitchen first (which is white).
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...rush&fh_eds=ß&fh_refview=search&isSearch=true
The only thing I can think is that these brushes have a black dye on them which, some of which has transferred on the walls.
Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying.
Any other ideas of what has gone wrong?

Sponsored Links
Its very unlikely to be the brushes, it sounds more like surface contamination which is certainly common in a kitchen. Also i wouldn't use a bristle brush for emulsion, despite what B&Q say (who are usually wrong anyway) bristle is really designed for application of oil based paints.

I disagree slightly with dcdec here.
When you wash a brush, sometimes the colour from the handle (especially plastic) will run and bleed through the ferrule into the bristles which can cause the discolouration you describe.
I agree it's not the actual bristles though. ;)

Its very unlikely to be the brushes, it sounds more like surface contamination which is certainly common in a kitchen. Also i wouldn't use a bristle brush for emulsion, despite what B&Q say (who are usually wrong anyway) bristle is really designed for application of oil based paints.

I brushed down the walls and ceilings. Washed with sugarsoap and a wet decorators sponge. Then rinsed off the soap spray with fresh water.

Sponsored Links
Have to say i only ever use plastic handled brushes as a cheap throw away, but had know idea they could bleed like that thanks mrhelpful, useful to know and think with the op's good prep it must be the problem. Might be worth going up to B&Poo and having a winge?

Have to say i only ever use plastic handled brushes as a cheap throw away...

Good call!
Wooden handles are much better, but I've even experienced bleed with painted wooden handles - usually only occurs after cleaning with WS/turps though, so as OP cleaned with water, does seem unusual.

JimFoster,
It might indeed be worth a trip back to the shop, as they may give you a nice discount off/free set of better quality brushes if you return yours and explain the situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back