Deburr a kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot tap in the kitchen keeps sticking so that a trickle of water comes out. after a few precision turns, the flow increases. Knowing nothing about plumbing, I took the cartridge to a local plumbing shop, he said the problem isn't with the cartridge (movement is fine, not impacted). The washer was worn down (it had a nice indent of the pipe it blocks), the chap in the shop said that he thinks the inside of the tap could be sharp and needs deburring. Assuming he means the edge of the hole that water flows up, I'm not sure what I need to do

is it a simple case of buying a deburring tool, and filing the edges of the hole a bit smooth? Is it possible to deburr too much?

apologies for asking what is a very simple question! thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Peersonally I'd just try a new washer first, but if the tap is scored internally, you use a tap reseating tool to smooth the tap internal where the washer bears onto.
Effectively this thing cuts a smooth face by using a cutter that you turn by hand. The tool itself screws into the orifice left where you took the tap insert out. It works well enough - eventually - as the brass is still quite hard!
John :)

Thanks Burnerman, I had no idea what the tap reseater was called :)

I stuck a new washer in on Saturday, 4 days later the tap has stuck a little, so will grab one of these.

nice one :)

Sponsored Links
A countersink bit given a couple of twists by hand is often enough to blunt the sharp edge around the hole after re-seating.

Deburring tools like this are available:-

product_30216.JPG

Just draw the blade around the edge of the hole to shave off any burrs or sharp corners.

Flush out any shavings before final reassembly - you don't want to get any swarf embedded in your new tap washer to undo your work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back