Decent Quality Sheds

Thermo said:
if youve gopt solid ground then just do a framework of 4 x 2 to the base size and fill with concrete. no digging, job done. will be more than man enough for a shed base.

ok thanks, that will do me nicely, cheers

Sponsored Links
as said above timber yard yards are the answer better timber free or reduced delivery you need 3.6m lengths and your unlikly to get them from wicks

you can ask you wood yard for specific lengths and they will have most in stock where as wicks will have maybe 2 or 3

possible lengths start at around 1.8 and go up in 0.3s[old foot incriments but not quite 2.1 2.4 2.7 ect] till around 5m mark

your timber [100m] would be enough for a floor as well

Hey Big-all, very nice workshop! It looks as though you have everything you need and most importantly, close to hand. Maybe needs a bit of a tidy up inside though :LOL:.

This thread should come in quite handy actually as I'm thinking of knocking my old shed down which has been infested with mice! Gonna go for a screeded base this time ;).

a bit messy :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

are you blind its a complete tip :D :D :D

those pictures where taken during the summer holidays and my son used it like a den :D :D

thats my excuse any way ;)

there is somewhere a realy realy boring thread about the process i will try and find it if you like !!!! but it is realy boring without any other pictures or drawings :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
big-all said:
there is somewhere a realy realy boring thread about the process i will try and find it if you like !!!! but it is realy boring without any other pictures or drawings :rolleyes:

Put it in the wiki, then we can link to it every time the 'shed' question comes up.

Thanks Bigall, it's ok I found this rather interesting (http://parker1.co.uk/shed/) which is on page 1 and has all the pictures too :D.

Put it in the wiki, then we can link to it every time the 'shed' question comes up.

Yea, that would a good idea too.

yes i looked at that thread a few days ago ;)

when it comes to the corners my solution was simple and neat

in my case the 3" of the timber was on the end faces
so what i did was to take 2x1" treated fixed on the verticle corners sticking out 1" giving you a 1" lip to cut your planks up too for the sides protecting the end grain and on the back and front wall the end grain is protected by the 1" thickness of the battons ;)

what i may do is take the shed thread and remove all the unnesesery detritus then post it on the wiki

I'm going to vouch for the cheapest of the cheap here: tool shed from B&Q for £60 3 years ago... Moved it from the patio to round the corner the other week. I knew the floor was shot so I got replacement 3*2 supports and chipboard floor for £16 from B&Q and had a look. No treatment in those 3 years yet all the walls, the roof and door are all fine. My new floor is ten times more sold than the last one so I have no doubt it'll last another 5 years. With some wood treatment it should see 10 years easy. Not sure how much longer you want from a cheapo shed - seems reasonable to me ;)

Right now I have a 7*5 space, only problem is I don't think I have the time to build it all myself before the winter, though I'm reassured from the tool shed if you buy cheap the scare stories about it rotting in 2 years aint necessarily so ;) ... just pay attention to the base!!!! :eek:

Any engineer buying one of these sheds will be appauled by the very flimsy specification of the metal used in it's manufacture. It has a good point regarding the height of the doorway whereas all other sheds we examined had a doorway where the average height bloke or lady would bang his or her
head on the door frame. What are these manufacturers thinking about - (duck or grouse) ? The centre height when complete is far too flexible and needs addressing because these bearers are far too thin. The bearers are so thin that the self tappers easily strip the metal even on a minimal setting for the battery screw driver. I have immediately changed these galve self tappers for stainless pop rivets with washers so that the burglars don't remove every panel in a few minutes.
On the whole it looks nice but I could have built a much more substancial metal shed for the £300 it cost for an 8ft x 6ft shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back