decomissionimg electrical radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - bought a house but has electric radiators in all rooms along with a thermostat...i want to remove these radiators and thermostats and have gas central heating installed..am i right in thinking that i just need to remove the rads and thermostats and with the exposed wiring just seal off the wiring with terminal connectors and insulation tape.. i cant dig out the wiring, would be ok to shove it back into the walls or is there some kind of blanking plate that you guys use...cheers

Sponsored Links
You MUST isolate the other end of the cable and ensure that it remains isolated. Just turning of the main switch for the heaters and leaving the wires in place is not safe as someone may turn it on at some time in the future.

or is there some kind of blanking plate that you guys use...cheers
You could consider fitting an appliance outlet or socket outlet and then get an electrician to change the fuses / MCBs to 16 amp and arrange for them to be permanently supplied. This wil give you extra power points.

The radiators (if there's more than 2 or 3) tend to be supplied back to there own board.

I'd suggest you get someone to kill the juice feed to the board, once done all will be absolutely dead and you can simply remove the plates, stats, back boxes and patch plaster.

ok cheers ..i suppose i could fit an extra double power point by removing the radiators, as the wiring is at a convenient point for a powerpoint...but what about the thermostats, as they are half way up the wall by the door...?

Sponsored Links
You'll need to remove those from the circuit, unless you want your sockets to be thermostatically controlled :LOL:

i.e. the supply to the sockets must go directly to them, not via the thermostats.

I take it that the heaters were not on an off-peak supply?

Strange one BAS.

The stats (under my assumption) would be direct to each heater, as an external room control. So discon the supplies to the heaters (or the supply to the heaters board if such exists), and everything will be dead. The cable between heater and stat can then be cut off and plastered over.

Job done.

ok guys on further inspection looks like the house needs rewiring as the fuse box is old as it has ceramic fuses, even the sockets are old...looks like ill be needing a complete rewire with a modern consumer unit..so anyone around brum can give me quote please feel free to pm me or post here..cheers

Isn't dingbat around the brum area? Thats if hes still on the tools after raking it in at his electrician training centre :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back